Illinois...

I would but it is female. I just don't have the funds to get her fixed or the extra cost for fleas on her and chickens. Deworming her and chickens. She will bring toms around if not fixed. She lives with the chickens and refuses to shelter outside the coop. She is just starting to allow me to touch her (only when she wants though). I don't want to take her to animal control they will put her down.

:(
In our area they have a program called TNR,, Trap---neuter--release. And the cost is only for the rabies shot. I took all my ferals there to get fixed. I also left them additional money,,, but far from what it would cost to have a local Veterinarian do the procedure. That would definitely drive me to the poor house.
That was a long time ago,, so I don't recall the exact number,,, but was more than 10 cats.. The cats in my Avatar are 13 or 14 years old now. Some of that group are no longer:(

Staceyh,,,, check with humane society in your area if they have similar program.

:(
In our area they have a program called TNR,, Trap---neuter--release. And the cost is only for the rabies shot. I took all my ferals there to get fixed. I also left them additional money,,, but far from what it would cost to have a local Veterinarian do the procedure. That would definitely drive me to the poor house.
That was a long time ago,, so I don't recall the exact number,,, but was more than 10 cats.. The cats in my Avatar are 13 or 14 years old now. Some of that group are no longer:(

Staceyh,,,, check with humane society in your area if they have similar program.
I have and right now they are not doing a feral program. They said they had in the past but funds have been cut. I have called vets and other places no kill shelters like adopt a pet. No one is willing to help. I have about 2 mos to find her a home before problems really start. I posted here but I am talking to folks in town seeing if a farmer is willing to take in a good girl like her.If nothing else I will post on a few boards like Rural King has. I really think she would make someone a great barn cat. She will even sleep on the roosting bar with my chickens to stay warm.
I am not againist cats and use to have a few but my budget is tight.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Spring is coming... I have over a dozen eggs in the fridge. Getting 3-5 per day the last few days. Not expecting much tomorrow with this cold weather, but suspect they'll keep on laying from here on out.
How many do you have?
My ladies have been laying all winter. It is their first year. So,next year I'm sure I won't be as lucky as I was this year. I do sell to a few neighbors but mostly eat eggs 3x's a day:gig. I just posted on another thread I sold 5 dozen yesterday, gave away 3 dozen collected 13/15 eggs.......
Wondering what to do with the 26 dozen I have left.

How many do you have?
My ladies have been laying all winter. It is their first year. So,next year I'm sure I won't be as lucky as I was this year. I do sell to a few neighbors but mostly eat eggs 3x's a day:gig. I just posted on another thread I sold 5 dozen yesterday, gave away 3 dozen collected 13/15 eggs.......
Wondering what to do with the 26 dozen I have left.
Just 9 hens and 6 ducks (plus a drake, but I sure hope he never lays an egg).

The ducks are on and off with just an egg here and there right now. In a few more weeks they'll be laying everyday and trying to fill nests.

The hens are varying ages with the oldest ones going on 4 years and the youngest just a year old. 3-5 eggs is good for this lot. It also more than handle our consumption needs as we don't normally eat or cook with eggs everyday.

Just 9 hens and 6 ducks (plus a drake, but I sure hope he never lays an egg).

The ducks are on and off with just an egg here and there right now. In a few more weeks they'll be laying everyday and trying to fill nests.

The hens are varying ages with the oldest ones going on 4 years and the youngest just a year old. 3-5 eggs is good for this lot. It also more than handle our consumption needs as we don't normally eat or cook with eggs everyday.
You do pretty good with your hens. I've never had female ducks. Can you taste the difference between the two eggs?

You do pretty good with your hens. I've never had female ducks. Can you taste the difference between the two eggs?
I don't taste much difference between the eggs myself, although their feed is similar except the ducks get higher protein usually. Three eggs are different though. Duck eggs have a larger yolk to white ratio and are larger in general. The duck yolk is also higher in cholesterol and creamier in texture. They make great baked goods and velvety scrambled eggs, but generally taste like an egg just.

I have about 60 hens, almost 7 yrs to less than a year old. I'm got 2 to 7 eggs a day last week. The youngest are a meat mutt mix and the oldest is a black jersey giant. They lay a few days a week. I sell some, give some to a neighbor and my cousin and later hatch some. I usually have 18 go broody a year. The extras are steamed in the pressure cooker, smashed and fed back.

I have about 60 hens, almost 7 yrs to less than a year old. I'm got 2 to 7 eggs a day last week. The youngest are a meat mutt mix and the oldest is a black jersey giant. They lay a few days a week. I sell some, give some to a neighbor and my cousin and later hatch some. I usually have 18 go broody a year. The extras are steamed in the pressure cooker, smashed and fed back.
Is that chickens only or include turkeys?

Back
Top Bottom