illness mystery driving me crazy! Suggestions?

Madhen80

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Northwest Ohio
I have 3 little D'uccle pullets that I was told were 5 months old when I purchased them a month ago, but they were very small. Anyways, they were adorable and I bought them out of a large chicken farm. I was keeping them in a large enclosed dog carrier (with sides), when after a week I noticed one was growing a large wart like thing on her beak. I researched immediately and found that maybe it could be from ammonia, so I promptly switched to a dog crate (wire) in the the chicken coop with my flock, but seperate. They are small and I have mostly full size birds. A couple days following, the bird with the growth began having watery bubbles in it's eye, so I started some triple antibiotic opthalmalic ointment. The growth continued to grow. Now shortly after beginning this treatment, I ended up in the hospital and am unmoveable for 2 weeks. When I get back out to my poor babies, they are all now one by one, having bubbles and discharge in the eyes. So ointment for all and they have been on Sulfadimethoxizine for 4 days now. Getting very frustrated. Not seeing much improvement. Eyes have been being treated for 6 days so far, and though the bubbles are gone, the eyes look sore and swollen. My vet, who does do livestock, doesn't do chickens too much. I'm not sure what is the cause of this. Also, one morning, one of the pullets seemed close to death, so I immediately put a heat lamp on her, and she perked up later that day. I've been keeping heat on them now over night. It is getting between 45-55 overnight lately. This is not good going into winter. I wanted to be introducing them to my flock by now. Any suggestions, please!

How about the wart like thing, is it still there? Are there any other growths? Can you post a couple pictures of the eyes and growths. Are they eating and drinking, happy or depressed?

Yes, if their are scabs on their face and legs then that would be fowl pox. If no scabs then they may have a respitory illness and would need to be treated with Tylan 50 cattle injectable, also for the other condition too. But they would have to be kept seperate from your other chickens as they would always be carriers if respitory illness.

Thanks for the replies so far. No, the bird with the growth actually seems almost cured now. No scabs or other growths. The eyes are cleared up on this one bird, but the growth remains. The other birds aren't fairing as well. They seem lethargic . They are still eating and drinking. The eyes are very weeping and sometimes just shut altogether. I am going to continue treating the eyes at this point and maybe give some oxytetracycline in a couple days on advice of my vet if they don't improve soon. The growth still stumps me. Any other suggestions welcome.

Back
Top Bottom