I'm 90% Sure They Are Chickens.. =P

Davidisinaband

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Upstate, SC
I thought I had everything figured out, but the more I research and play the sex guessing game, the less sure I am of anything at this point!

Forewarning!: A few of these I got were handled abhorrently at the auction. They are recovering nicely from the abuse.. Well, they were until I threw the two new ones in yesterday.. lol

First one. I think it's a sexlink roo. Generally at this auction they were selling hens 2x and roosters 1x. At least that's what I went by. Not like they would tell you or anything and the two second glance from 100 yards away didn't make for reliable ID.

75059_1.jpg

Now the two other sexlinks:

75059_4.jpg

75059_3.jpg

American game hen:

75059_2.jpg

Welsummer:

75059_5.jpg

That's my guesses going into this! I'm thinking 4 months on the sexlinks, and 2 months on the other two. I'm HOPING for 1 roo and 4 hens, but wouldn't be surprised if you told me they were all transgender ducks! lolol

Thanks for taking the time to look!!
big_smile.png

David

mr. birdaholic :

WOW!
ep.gif
Where did you get those Beautiful transgender ducks?
lau.gif

LOLOL.. Oh no!! XD

I honestly wouldn't be surprised! I'm suffering info overload just figuring them out and trying to keep the relatives from giving them "treats." I've officially hidden all the honey buns and candy bars! lol​

The sexlinks are all girls. I don't know on the 4th picture but she is very pretty
smile.png
. What color are the earlobes on the last one? If they are white then she is a brown leghorn.

Your sexlinks are all hens, and I would say older than 4 months. Hens don't get that red in the face until they're laying age, and it looks like they've been in with a rooster who thinks they're mature too. Red sexlink roosters are not actually "red"; they're a creamy white with some red on their wings and usually some yellow in the hackles and tail. So if you've got a red one, it's a hen.

The fourth is a hen, also not a young/growing one. The fifth is the only one I am not sure of; if it's mature it's a pullet/hen but if it's still growing it may be a baby boy; I can't see its proportions as well. But it's got a very hennish look around the face and body. So I'm going to say 95% mature (6+ months) hen.

Quote:
The earlobes on the last one are red at the very bottom, and tan-ish primarily. They are young though and to be honest, I was more sure about that one being a Welsummer than I was what the rest were, but after googling the pics of light brown leghorns, that's definitely what she is.

The sexlinks I guessed right on when we first got them home, but dad and granddad insisted it was a roo. That's good though, because I won a bet off of that now.. LOL 10 bucks per egg she lays for the rest of her life.. I'm rich!!!!!! lolol

Yeah, the last two are my pics NOT from an auction. They are flea market picks. I would have chosen them anyways, but they were the only ones there not past their prime. I'm very happy with them and they seem to be getting along better today, even though when I go out there, they complain loudly to me that they are still not happy.. lol

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense about the sexlinks. I figured the feather loss was from when I got them about a month ago. The first one that is in the best shape was in a crate by herself, and the other two were crammed into a single crate that was too small. They have grown a ton in the month we've had them, as in probably a 25% increase. They were the size of the two new ones, so the last two's ground to back height is about 2" shorter than the sexlinks. Seeing that the first one is a hen also, judging by the leg size I'd say she's a tad older than the other two. They gave us eggs the first night we put them in. What would you say laying age would be for them?

Also, is it regular to have the sexlinks lay XXL eggs? I got a bunch of large egg crates, and I get at least 3 a week that absolutely won't let the lid close at all. They're like 2lb eggs.. LOLOL

Yup, my BSLs lay the extra big eggs. Every day. Love those girls.

The last hen, is she laying? Leghorns should have white earlobes and lay white eggs, Welsummers red lobes and brown eggs. Or she could be mixed?

Nice score on the hens!

Back
Top Bottom