I'm a bad mommy!! Injured chickend please help!!

leahcim823

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
So we had 2 roos in our coop a little to long. They took a favoring to my bared rock.. They went into the freezer when I found my girl pretty beat up..
She had a pretty bad wound on her head which is all healed...
But now she isn't using her left leg, seems every time she tries to walk she falls over. I also noticed she seems to have a bump on her back...
So now I'm wondering if it has always been there and I never noticed because she had alot of feathers..or if her back might be broke...
She wasn't really eating or drinking...So I brought her inside got her eating and drinking.. but I'm not sure what to do about her walking.. Do I keep her in a small space, and pray for it to heal?

does she make any movement when you press the bump?
or does the leg drag?
Unless you have a avian vet for radiographs there is nothing
that really can be done to say for or not a broken back
keep her quiet a few days you should have a better
sense if it is broken

She can stand, she tucks her leg up. When she does put it down she wont put weight on it.

the bump or lump is it solid or squishy? does it feel like bone?
I can tell the feathers have been worn off do you know the cockerel
or both was getting rough?

one reason I ask what the lump feels like there may be other causes
because she is able to hold that leg up is she eating or drinking?

It's hard, I was just "feeling her up" and I'm thinking that it might be her leg broken... I know one of the cockerels was pretty rough, not sure about the other one.
She has only been in for a few hours, when she was separate from the rest in the coop I noticed she wasn't eating or drinking a lot. Be since I brought her in and put her in the little plastic tote she has ate and drank more.

It feels like bone, I'm wondering if it's "normal" for her. I did notice her left leg seems to have less muscle tone then the other.

It feels like bone, I'm wondering if it's "normal" for her. I did notice her left leg seems to have less muscle tone then the other.
I believe maybe the bone is more pronounced because of feather loss
and the real issue is the leg.. you may need to let her rest away from the
other hens a week or so as it may be them that pick on her and hurt the leg
or it could have been cockerels

Back
Top Bottom