I'm a murderer :(

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
Of 49 eggs I set 0 hatched!!!!!!!!!

the only thing I can think of, is one day my 1 year old grand daughter rambled into the room with the incubator because 15 minutes after I went in there the 'bator was really high. I didn't worry about this too much because so little time had passed, but my coturnix were due monday night...... ACK!!!!!!!! I am going to retry at the end of the month from some eggs from SamG.

SOBING!!!!! I failed so bad!!!!!

For the last couple of days though I've been looking for ways to modify my LG Still air and went through all my old computer parts..

I took an old Induction fan for a laptop with a 6" wide x 2" tall heatsink and wired it up to a 7.5v pc speaker transformer/plug. My bator needed a little adjustment, but looks like it is holding steady temps. I also bought a new hydrogemeter... sigh..... anybody else have any advice for a fuzzy butt killer like me?
hu.gif

Last edited:
sigh..... I wish these guys hatched as easy as my buttons did! Thinking of doing some BR/Buff O crosses inbetween.
idunno.gif

I've just been sooooooooooooooooo geeked to do coturnix. I did some buttons as a test run. Got 10 eggs off ebay for like 4$ including shipping and had 4 hatch so I felt confident. Sigh, quail aren't the same as chickens, i know, but RATS!!!! I was hungry for some quail
smile.png
The kids claimed the buttons as pets tho.

sad.png
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry, that really sucks that they didn't hatch. Don't beat yourself up, this hatching seems like complicated business. It is so hard to keep everything consistent, and then deal with the unexpected too.

Best of luck for your next batch!

don't feel bad, I bet we've all been through it! Out of 80 coturnix eggs I set, only 19 hatched, and only 14 made it past a couple days old. I had two incubators, one a homemade one with 40 in it (that hatched NONE and I threw it away!), and a LG still-air that hatched the 19. I now have 130 more eggs setting waiting to be put in the incubator tonight - I am crossing my fingers for at least 70 of them to hatch, so I can sell some chicks and keep some more......... because I was really wanting to do a family BBQ and do up a bunch of quail this summer!

Last edited:
That's what I am wanting to do too! Plus, I really wouldn't mind doing a few quart jars full of bread and butter pickled quail eggs. It's like 20$ at the bar for those
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom