I'm ashamed to admit

I knew I knew what lutefisk was - I cannot believe that people eat fish soaked in lye!!!!! Right up there with haggis

Don't tell greyfields
hide.gif

My great-grandfather was a german soldier who fought on sword beach on D day, I am married to an american soldier whos grandpa fought on the same beach on the same day for the americans. Our grandpas fought each other .

I grew up on a farm that did home slaughtering and cant eat fresh pork products. They have to be frozen first.

Don't get me wrong, I love baked potatoes and au gratin potatoes, etc (as long as they aren't runny, which makes me sick).

I'm also lactose intolerant but can eat ice cream all day long (my husband is thankful I don't) and cheese, but don't try giving me cereal with regular milk--yuck!

Quote:
Debi, I think the debate was about "real" maple syrup tapped from a tree and stuff like Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth's which is made from cane syrup, so "not real."

I buy real maple syrup from Trader Joe's. They have a grade B (darker, heavier taste) for about half the cost.

As a kid (and when my own kids were young,) we had a fake fake syrup, Mapleine extract. You would pour boiling water over white sugar and stir in half a teaspoon of the extract. It was cheap-cheap-cheap. Not bad if you are on a heinous budget. Because of it, I learned to like my syrup really warm.

Costco sells the real maple syrup in special little bottles.

I'm used to the fake kind, I grew up putting water in sugar and warming it up with maple extract too.

Back
Top Bottom