I'm confused....thought I had all hens but could this be a rooster?!

mommyofthree

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
This EE is about 4 months old. We have 5 EE's and 6 Isa Browns, the Isa Browns combs and wattles have been coming in for awhile but the EE's are definitely maturing more slowly in that department. We were gone for the weekend and it seems like while we were away this EE suddenly sprouted the beginnings of a pretty thick red comb!! I think it might be a rooster because it looks so thick/wide and my other girls combs are thinner. We haven't heard any crowing so I'm not sure. What do you chicken pros think? Does a thick comb like that mean rooster or can hens have thick combs too?? Sorry the pics aren't the greatest!
DSC05551.jpg

DSC05554.jpg

Sorry I didn't take any full body pics, but the body looks like the rest of my hens. And we did get our first eggs from an Isa Brown over the weekend so maybe if this is a hen it's getting ready to lay??

Thanks for the replies. I was just surprised to see how wide the comb is. Obviously I don't know much about chickens yet, just enough to keep them alive and happy and collect their eggs. lol

Back
Top Bottom