I'm Engaged!!!

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
Well, not really. When I was in school today (50 miles away from home) I started getting strange calls, asking me why I never told anyone about the wedding. Even my father called and was very upset that I kept a secret of this magnatude from them. Apparently they were referring to this...

Yes, it is a REAL engagement announcement in the REAL local paper... The problem is, it ISN'T REAL!!! I am NOT getting engaged! It reads as follows:

They got my information all right (meaning the names of my parents, work and school) the thing is, this supposed "fiance" of mine, doesn't exist.His parents don't exist. No wonder I've never heard of him! I'm not even dating anyone, anyhow!!! Needless to say, the damage control aspect took up my whole lunch break and many, many phone calls. I didn't even get to see it till I got home an hour ago! Someone obviously thought they were being funny. I've even had a call to reschedule my mom's doctor appointment and the receptionist (whom I I DON'T EVEN KNOW) freakin' congratulated me! Arg! What am I going to do now!!!
he.gif

Edited for clarity

EDITED for content, do not post personal information on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call the paper and find out who placed that ad! I wouldnt think that was funny at all..

If I did that, I'd have had to add something ridiculous about the fake fiance, like "The groom is a recent graduate of the Iowa Polytechnical Institute of Pest Control and Animal Husbandry"

You should have told people you're getting married because you have to, to see how far that travels.
lol.png

I did a little 'research' and now I am really worried. (I used to work in CRJS and have a few tricks up my sleeve...lol)

You werent kidding when you said the groom doesnt exist....I couldnt find anything on him nor on the folks listed as his parents.

Please call the paper in the morning and get some info and if you dont like what they tell you, please consider making a police report. Just to create a paper trail in case anything else weird goes on.

Not to freak you out...just to keep you safe....

The fact that whoever placed the ad spent the money to place it, knows where you work and has the names of you parents sends up red flags all over the place.

If intended as a joke, NOT funny. If not intended as a joke, alert the police and start looking over your shoulder- you may have a hopeful stalker.

The newspaper may not want to give up the info- if not, contact a lawyer.

Good luck, IMO, it is a scary situation, ar an amazingly tasteless joke.

Back
Top Bottom