I'm Freakin' OUT!!

Just be "Very" careful with a syringe you can drown them very easily. It happened to me once and I still get all bummed when I think about it.
sad.png

Update: it was a long day and night, I separated her, tried the syringe but was to nervous about drowning her, dipping her beak in the water seemed to work better. Her eyes got kind of crusty, and after taking water she would seem a little stronger but still very very weak. i was up and down all night, this morning she was much worse, but I was going to keep trying I went to the store for milk, I was gone 15 minutes tops, came home and she was already in heaven. I'm glad she's not suffering, but Man did that freakin suck!!! The other 11 seem perky and healthy, but this is not the awy I wanted to start my first attempt at raising chicks. Thank you all for your help! I'm so greatful for a forum like this. It is the reason I braved raising chicks in the first place. Lots of knowledge and most of all caring members willing to help.

Sorry you couldn't save her.

And I have to acknowledge AV Brahma's point to my comment about pecking order. His/her observation was absolutely correct. I think we agree that shipping stress was highly likely the cause of your your chick's failure, but you can't rule out disease.

As to the drowning issue for an isolated chick (or for any other, including a clutch of newly hatched chicks), and with an eye to the possibility of facing the same issue in the future . . . Even the commmon (and very useful) trick of marbles in the water isn't sufficient for a droopy, lethargic chick that may still doze off with its beak in the water -- better suited to keeping new chicks from hopping in then dozing off while still in the kiddie pool.

A better option for shipping-stressed chick(s) is Gro-Gel. A very fine, light tan powder as it comes out of the packet. Add the recommended measure of water and it expands into crumble-size, gelatinous bits, of a green color attractive to the chicks. Its immense swelling indicates that it is mostly water. The stuff from the powder is an electrolyte mix. I keep it on hand if needed for newly-arrived birds, and it can be just the thing for a chick that might need extra attention that yours indicated. It helps meet the need for both hydration and electrolytes, and has the advantage of being filling until they get the hang of the feed you'll have provided for them.

It's not a cure-all, but it can be just the ticket for overcoming shipping stress or giving a chick with another problem a leg up. Well worth having on hand.

I agree...that sucks. But also one of the realities of raising chicks and chickens. You did not pick the easiest breed to start with either. Polish are lovely birds but have specialized needs thru most of their lives. From my perspective they are easiest when they are in the brooder! I kept a pair of buff lace large fowl for many years. They were the only Polish we ever had here that could be released with the other birds and then only with the gentle Brahmas. We believe VERY strongly in pasture for chickens, each pen being let out on supervised grazing at least once a week. Polish are very susceptible to attacks from above and the first to go if a hawk gets thru the defenses. They tend to panic if pecked because they cannot always see the attacker. I am not sure how you will fare with 11 Polish living together. We had to separate all our roosters to keep the peace. You should be prepared for some difficulty. I tried different things...shearing the bonnet into a mohawk to improve eyesight, etc. They just did not live/play well with others and shearing them made for a freaky looking bird. I love the things and always have a couple around but they are a trial.
smile.png

Quote:
I thought I did a lot of research and I picked this breed, #1 because they are docile #2 because they are not flighty #3 because they are "light" egg layers and #4 because they have great hair!! Being that I am a hairdresser #4 was the clincher! The rest made it sound like an easier breed, then the ones that were profiled as aggressive, heavy egg production, and flighty. I guess it was their description that appealed to me!! They have only been here for 48 hours and I realize that's not enough time to judge but hopefully since I have no other chickens and I ordered pullets I will not have to contend with the problems of a rooster.I know it's not a 100% that I will have all hens, and I guess I will deal with that when I get there. I worked on my coop for 3 months before they arrived. I have a coop with a roof and lots of fence, with a roost inside for more protection and even their run has a net over the top. It is also equipped with game cameras and I will have a baby monitor outside when they are big enough to go out there. Fingers Crossed I can Do IT!!
fl.gif

I currently have over 20 Polish of differing ages, and they all get along just fine. They live with several other breeds, and they get on fine. I do find that polish are a little goofy and sometimes jumpy if their crests get big enough to impair their vision. Trimming the feathers around the eyes can help with this. I have heard a lot of people have trouble with this breed, but I have had no trouble at all with mine. The roosters are very docile, and the hens are very peaceful. They are very social with me, and very easy to pick up and handle. I would recommend taking extra care if you let them free range, as they are a little goofy and not as tuned in to their surroundings. My polish are my absolute favorite breed! I love them completely. Oh, you do want to take measures to keep their crests dry whenever possible. Their crests get very messed up if wet often, and wet crests can chill the birds. Good luck and have fun. Sorry you lost one...hopefully the rest will thrive.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom