I'm gonna be RICH!

clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
:caf You are looking at it all wrong.You have pets when you have chickens that are paying for some of their upkeep.A dog ,cat,horse,etc. doesn't pay for themselves.Most all hobbies don't pay for themselves.Hunters don't get their money's worth,Woodwokers don't get their money's worth,etc.It all depends on what you want to put your money and time into.I know that like anything else you go to do at first cost,but with chickens you get to enjoy them from the start.I see the funny things that they do and I get real enjoyment from them.They are actually relaxers for me.So I may be wrong,but I'm happy with my little PETS.
wee.gif
ya.gif
:old:old

Quote:
total cost includes every cost incurred so far. coop construction, chicken costs, equipment, etc.

What is "107 to date?"

for that chart it is total eggs collected so far

I have approx 30 hens. plus 12 that aren't laying, but I get average 16 per day now. Times 7 that's days is 112 per week. That's 9.3 doz X $2.25 per doz. = $21.00 per week or $84 per month.

I haven't figure exact feed but don't think it's more than 50# a week. I'll have to check, but that's 300#s of feed. $84.00 / $14 per 50#s. Not including scratch and bread. The bread I buy for $1.25 a bag or get it free from school. I grow greens and I didn't inclue ACV or Cod Liver oil or vitamins.

figuring out feed costs was one of the main reasons for starting this spreadsheet. Once I figured out how many quarts were in each of my bags I can extrapolate how much feed I'm going through on a monthly basis. With only 12 hens my feed usage is approximately 4 bags per month.

I didn't include labor cuz I like what I do. It gives me pleasure to keep chickens. What price should I put on that?

I'm keeping (sort of anyway) track of my time just because I wanted to expand the spreadsheet. I was having fun making it
smile.png

Have you hugged your chickens today,

Nope, while cute I don't hug them. I'm keeping them for eggs and meat. I don't want to get cuddly with them. I do spend a fair amount of time watching them however. They are very fascinating creatures.​

Men don't hug their chickens as much as us girls
lol.png
And there are some girls who don't hug their chickens. I don't hug my roosters. No coddling the boys. The kids coddle my silkie roo, and he doesn't mind at all
tongue.png

Quote:
lau.gif
Glad to know that I am not the only one eating these super-expensive pampered-pet eggs!!! Good thing that they provide entertainment and fun too!!!

lau.gif
-yup-me too!!

Quote:
Way to
cool.png
!!! Thank you for the link. I am going to have to play with this. I should just mess with my MSN Office program, but it intimidates me too much. lol

Am I not feeding my gals enough? We typically go through about a 50# bag every three to four weeks. We also supplement with scratch - I toss it down each day...I have 24 birds. They are fat and healthy looking...in fact I just saw another local flock that looked sickly and terrible, which made me feel good about our gals and eggs.

With our current production, about 8-10 eggs a day, we've calculated with bedding (I'm really bad about using lots and keeping them clean) our dozen is just under $3. About 2.76...and that's only counting our recent numbers coming up again I'm guessing that my egg costs will come down even more. The numbers include days during our molt where we got an egg maybe every 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom