I'm growing a lemon 🍋 tree🌳! do y'all want updates?

Should I update y'all on my lemon plant progress?

• Yes!

Votes: 34 94.4%
  • no thanks

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Pics
You don't need to wait that long to sprout an acorn. Depending on species of oak, most can be planted in the fall/winter for spring sprouts.
I've just been collecting acorns as I find them and holding them until I actually remember to do the cold stratification - hence the amount of time elapsing. 😄

Thanks for the tip - will have to try germinating them this fall and winter! I put some black walnuts in a pot over winter (outside) but none germinated. The ones the squirrels planted, though? Different story.

Cold snap and frost advisory here, so I've begun bringing the avocado and mango plants inside at night, but am planning to put them back out as the temps rise during the day.

The room the plants will be in full time during cold weather doesn't get great natural light, so I'm looking at full spectrum bulbs to supplement. Any tips for using grow lights to keep these plants happy and healthy while they're inside? 🌱

When keeping small trees inside, best placement is the sunniest window, but if that's not possible use a high lumen led light over them.

It's also important to keep them away from very cold drafts. If that's not possible, use a clear plastic painting sheet and drape the sheet over the tree all the way down to the pot.

During the winter season, you don't want them to grow anything new. So maintaining the health of the tree is more important.

Also check moisture levels in the soil, trees semi hibernating need to stay slightly moist, don't let them dry out completely. When the ambient air is warm around the tree the water in the soil will dry out faster, just keep that in mind.

Don't use any fertilizer during winter season.

This recommendation is from my own experience.

You don't need to wait that long to sprout an acorn. Depending on species of oak, most can be planted in the fall/winter for spring sprouts.
My point is that these acorns never went through the cold stratification process. This was not an attempt at germination but it happened in spite of how they were being stored.

When keeping small trees inside, best placement is the sunniest window, but if that's not possible use a high lumen led light over them.

It's also important to keep them away from very cold drafts. If that's not possible, use a clear plastic painting sheet and drape the sheet over the tree all the way down to the pot.

During the winter season, you don't want them to grow anything new. So maintaining the health of the tree is more important.

Also check moisture levels in the soil, trees semi hibernating need to stay slightly moist, don't let them dry out completely. When the ambient air is warm around the tree the water in the soil will dry out faster, just keep that in mind.

Don't use any fertilizer during winter season.

This recommendation is from my own experience.
Thanks for the tips! Always helpful to hear about first-hand experiences.

My point is that these acorns never went through the cold stratification process. This was not an attempt at germination but it happened in spite of how they were being stored.
Stuck one of the sprouted acorns in a pot.
20211221_074929.jpg

Back
Top Bottom