Im having trouble aging my babes

daishadavidson

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
I bought my chicks all at the same time from my local feed store, i have a Black australorp, a barred Plymouth rock and 2 rhode island reds i believe they were between 2-4 weeks old when i got them (maybe hatched different from the next being they are different breeds) and have had them for 4.5 weeks. im having trouble really knowing how old there are to properly feed and house them. can anyone tell me how old they look? here is a picture of the day i brought them home vs them now

Attachments

• FFE7331C-CBD7-40B8-B148-E5FA33CDA0CE.png
    FFE7331C-CBD7-40B8-B148-E5FA33CDA0CE.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • BC1D9225-966A-4E8B-AA7D-7D992026B338.png
    BC1D9225-966A-4E8B-AA7D-7D992026B338.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
I was going to guess around 8 weeks as well.

What issues are you having as far as feeding and housing? You don't need to get too caught up on the numbers, like I swap from chick starter to grower "when I run out."
im not necessarily having issues hust wasnt sure if theyre big enough for scratch grain and how much heat they need

im not necessarily having issues hust wasnt sure if theyre big enough for scratch grain and how much heat they need
Scratch is just a treat - can be good for training but I wouldn't give them too much. As a point of reference, many on here recommend that no more than 10% of their diet be treats, so for chicks, that's a pretty tiny amount, probably less than 1 Tbsp a day for all 4. :confused:

As far as heat they should be completely off heat and moved outdoors or ready to move outdoors. For reference I take my chicks off heat at 4 weeks, with lows in the mid 40s.

Scratch is just a treat - can be good for training but I wouldn't give them too much. As a point of reference, many on here recommend that no more than 10% of their diet be treats, so for chicks, that's a pretty tiny amount, probably less than 1 Tbsp a day for all 4. :confused:

As far as heat they should be completely off heat and moved outdoors or ready to move outdoors. For reference I take my chicks off heat at 4 weeks, with lows in the mid 40s.
yes! my babes are outside but still have heat but i will look into taking them off! as far as scratch goes, i give a small small sprinkle between all 4.

Back
Top Bottom