I'm just sick of this....

allanimals21

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
MN
A little bit of back info. Me and my fiance live on his parents property and rent from them. Anyhoo I have all my critters that I take care of that I pay to feed. Everytime I want something new I have to go through heck and back begging. So anyways last summer I got a little billy goat. He was 2 days old when I picked him up. I raised him to now he is 9-10 months? Well I found another goat I want because Billy needs a friend. The dogs just don't cut it. She is an adorable fainting doe who is also pregnant. Anyways I was vetoed on the idea. First FIL wants me to get insurance I guess if I want her. This is what I was told by my fiance. I havent heard this part. Second apparently according to me FIL and MIL and the whole rest of the world I spend to much money on feed the way it is. Its MY money! I work the crappy job 5 days a week for MY money! Here is the thing I am 23 years old. I don't have very many friends because most of the people my age here are stupid. I don't like going to the bar every flippin weekend and blowing money on that crap. I like my animals. They keep me home and out of trouble. They make me happy. I am so sick of people telling me I spend to much money on them. My goal was eventually having a little business or hobby of raising the birds and what not. Its a hobby already working on the business aspect. Its like they seem to think that I should right away be getting back everything I put into them. Well DUH thats not going to happen.

But the whole goat thing really gets under my skin. Billy needs a friend and I really want this doe. Its not like I don't help them out ever either. I do stuff quite often that I don't think I should reallly have to but I do! And what does it matter if I take care of them anyways? And they worry about them getting out and getting hit by cars and what not. What a dumb excuse. None of my animals that are supposed to be locked up have ever gotten out. NONE! In the three years nothing of mine has gotten loose! GRRRRR!!!

You have put yourself in a position where you have to beg for stuff. That is never a good idea. Renting from family or boyfriend's family is never a good idea either. They have too much control over you and tend to treat you like a dependent child even if you aren't.

Living with a fiance? Also a bad idea. Just my opinion and observation. I have done this before and it never worked out. My sister has been through this as well as many friends.

Fiance may not be telling you the truth about the insurance. The complaint about the feed may very well be all him too. I would be willing to bet he complains to mom and dad about the time and money you spend on your animals. I bet every time you buy a bag of feed he thinks about something better he thinks that money could be going for. I may be wrong, but this whole situation is something I have seen over and over again (I am 46).

As for possible solutions...
I could suggest a few but you probably wont like them.

I do agree a billy needs friends, but I don't think this situation is one you want to add more animals to. It's too unstable.

My fiance doesn't say anything about my animals. He does what he wants with his money and I do what I want with mine. He likes the animals and I think he is for the new goat. Yea the renting from family...never again. NEVER. I know this is not a great situation but its all I got right now. So I gotta make do I guess. It just irriatates me!

It's good to vent sometimes. We're here to listen and not judge. I really don't have any advise, but I do suggest that MAYBE you should look for a place of your own. Not on the "In-laws" property. They are your landlords and really do have a little say in what is on their property. I have renters myself. But we have a contract. And that person also has to obide the laws of our area. Do you have a contract? And what are the laws in your area?

Glad I am wrong about fiance and the animals. I have just seen it so many times it was a reasonable guess

We're here to listen and not judge.

Yeah, whatever
gig.gif

There is no contract...what they say goes. We are waiting to build. Its gonna be awhile though....Thanks so much for letting me vent guys.

Quote:
Yeah, whatever
gig.gif

Yea I'm glad he sides with me. He likes them which is nice. For x-mas I got gift certificates for the local feed mill from him. Last year the incubator...lol he understands my whole animal habit.
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, whatever
gig.gif

Yea I'm glad he sides with me. He likes them which is nice. For x-mas I got gift certificates for the local feed mill from him. Last year the incubator...lol he understands my whole animal habit.
smile.png

gig.gif
sounds like he is an enabler....lol

can you find a small farm that you can rent?.. or rent a barn space from someone who will let you do what you want? like add another goat... still live at their house but dont house your animals there they they have no say

We rent from family as well, but I've never asked for permission to get an animal, I just get what I want
gig.gif
They live so far away they'd never know anyway till they get here to visit!
gig.gif

I've been married to the boy child for just over 11 years, I think it makes the difference.

I like the fact that you are spending money on animals instead of at the local pub. That tells me you have some good instincts -- you care about animals and you see the dismal life in spending a lot of time drinking and pubbing.

I know there are some areas where not much is going on --not much to do -- and it's great that you have found a hobby that you love that keeps you out of trouble. If you live in a rural area, maybe you can find others who are raising animals that you can befriend, or at least swap animal stories with. Maybe you can find them through BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom