Pics
Just a added note guys and gals.. We're going into fall and chickens sometimes take a break and stop laying till spring regardless of age and breed. Particularly late spring and summer hatched chicks. My mom and grandma would only get Chicks January through early March so they'd get eggs late summer and fall to avoid feeding hens that weren't laying thru winter. Just a thought.

Just a added note guys and gals.. We're going into fall and chickens sometimes take a break and stop laying till spring regardless of age and breed. Particularly late spring and summer hatched chicks. My mom and grandma would only get Chicks January through early March so they'd get eggs late summer and fall to avoid feeding hens that weren't laying thru winter. Just a thought.

Say it ain't so! :(

Eh poop, I'm sure my neighbors are tired of me looking exasperatedly at the coop and muttering "Come ON already, you guys gotta start earning your keep!"

Pitbullmama, let's hope not. SF and most heavy breeds are supposed to lay petty well during the winter. That's why people put lights in the coop. That keeps them laying. I am sure you'll get that million dollar egg very soon.
Right now my hens are costing me .
Only 3 EE are laying, 2 SF are laying and 1 Banty. So divide cost by total Birds each egg =$1.13. Selling 1dozen EE at $3. Yip losing money big time

Last edited:
I have 3 RIR and 6 BR I got from Cackle this spring. I got my first egg at 19 wk 5 days. On day 10 of laying I got my first two "normal" sized eggs. They are the same size as some grade A large eggs from the store that I have left, and no longer have the desire to eat. I've gotten 7 eggs each of the last two days. I've had one shell-less egg, no yolk-less or double yolk eggs yet. Needless to say, I'm very pleased they didn't make me wait forever to get eggs.
IMG_3827.JPG

Pitbullmama, let's hope not. SF and most heavy breeds are supposed to lay petty well during the winter. That's why people put lights in the coop. That keeps them laying. I am sure you'll get that million dollar egg very soon.
Right now my hens are costing me .
Only 3 EE are laying, 2 SF are laying and 1 Banty. So divide cost by total Birds each egg =$1.13. Selling 1dozen EE at $3. Yip losing money big time

Million dollar egg, you're not kidding me! :) I got into this the beginning of May with 5 banties and no coop, and now I have 2 awesome coops and 7 banties/7 standards. I was lucky in that my husband repurposed a ton of stuff to make the coops (he was a builder) and even ran electricity to them and they are adorable! But I have spent so much money on my chickies. I'm always buying them stuff. And me silly chicken stuff like chicken Sloggers (both the shoe and the boot kind).

Last night I was looking at the coops with a new (repurposed) outside light he put on, thinking it looked like chicken condos, and I thought "wow I could decorate these coops really bad-ass for Christmas" and I am totally not that kind of person! I bet there are a million people on here who already do that, I'm gonna have to do a search, lol.

I bet people who get into this hobby thinking they're gonna come out ahead saving money for eggs--and actually making money--are few and far between!! I had no idea this would turn out to be such an all-encompassing hobby, but there it is.

I love nothing more than to sit on a stump inside my bigger chicken run with a beer in my hand after a long day at work, laughing over their silly antics, and feeding them mealworms. Best therapy ever. :)

Million dollar egg, you're not kidding me! :) I got into this the beginning of May with 5 banties and no coop, and now I have 2 awesome coops and 7 banties/7 standards. I was lucky in that my husband repurposed a ton of stuff to make the coops (he was a builder) and even ran electricity to them and they are adorable! But I have spent so much money on my chickies. I'm always buying them stuff. And me silly chicken stuff like chicken Sloggers (both the shoe and the boot kind).

Last night I was looking at the coops with a new (repurposed) outside light he put on, thinking it looked like chicken condos, and I thought "wow I could decorate these coops really bad-ass for Christmas" and I am totally not that kind of person! I bet there are a million people on here who already do that, I'm gonna have to do a search, lol.

I bet people who get into this hobby thinking they're gonna come out ahead saving money for eggs--and actually making money--are few and far between!! I had no idea this would turn out to be such an all-encompassing hobby, but there it is.

I love nothing more than to sit on a stump inside my bigger chicken run with a beer in my hand after a long day at work, laughing over their silly antics, and feeding them mealworms. Best therapy ever. :)
Hah! I feel the same way. Nothing better after a long day at work than to pour a glass of wine, grab a chair and hang out and watch the birdies as I give them snacks.

I could have almost written that exact post! :highfive:
(I even have 5 or 6 pairs of Sloggers! :D)

Um, you didn't hatch your faverolles did you? The egg you're holding is nearly as big as they're going to get. I bought eggs and hatched mine and when I opened the box I thought they were joking or there had been a mistake itty bitty eggs. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it lol! :)
I'm hoping my salmon Faverolles lays bigger eggs soon.
Here's a photo of Serama mix egg, SF egg and EE egg. They have been laying a month now every other day. View attachment 1151836

If you have any hidden spaces, maybe behind your feed bin, check to see if they've started laying back there. I had 1 chicken laying 1 egg every other day at first, then I was cleaning the coop and found a pile of 5 egg hidden behind the feed bin. Soon after the others started laying and decided it was a great spot too.

Back
Top Bottom