Pics
I have 6 hens that are almost 6 months old. I received the 1st egg almost a month ago. I now get 3 a day. I have caught two of the hens the nest. I have know idea if the same hens are laying an egg a day. My question is once they start to lay do that give me one a day, or could all of them be laying but not daily. This breed is suppose to give an egg a day but I do not know if once they start is it one a day from that point on. I have sexlings. I keep thinking I only have 3 hens laying and my other three are not stepping up.

Well, I went out expecting that the RIR laid her egg, but it was Raven -- the BR that's been laying for a while. A nice "bigger" egg, so it has increased in size a bit.

The RIR laid her egg! It had a tiny bit of blood on it, so I checked her vent and it looks ok. That makes 3 eggs today and Mocha the EE is about to lay. The egg carton fills up pretty quick now and I still have 5 girls not laying yet. Made potato salad with a bunch the other day. :)

An Isbar is a Scandinavian breed and very different from a Cream Legbar.

Isbar are not barred (not sure where the "bar" part comes from...probably something in the Scandinavian language).

Isbar are rare (so rare that I had trouble with inbreed lines and will not work forward with them).

They lay a beautiful rich sea green egg similar to the Legbar color.

I'm working with Cream Legbars now (with my sweet Barnevelder rooster). I hope to add Wheaten Ameraucanas in the near future.

LofMc

Sea green eggs sounds so pretty. Sorry you had trouble with inbreeds. Perhaps they will be easier to acquire someday.

I have 6 hens that are almost 6 months old. I received the 1st egg almost a month ago. I now get 3 a day. I have caught two of the hens the nest. I have know idea if the same hens are laying an egg a day. My question is once they start to lay do that give me one a day, or could all of them be laying but not daily. This breed is suppose to give an egg a day but I do not know if once they start is it one a day from that point on. I have sexlings. I keep thinking I only have 3 hens laying and my other three are not stepping up.

From what I am seeing, they may lay sporadically or even odd shape eggs in the beginning. They will likely have at least 1 or 2 days off each week. I have had a span of 3 days between laying with my first chicken. Different breeds may take longer to start laying.

The RIR laid her egg! It had a tiny bit of blood on it, so I checked her vent and it looks ok. That makes 3 eggs today and Mocha the EE is about to lay. The egg carton fills up pretty quick now and I still have 5 girls not laying yet. Made potato salad with a bunch the other day. :)

Sea green eggs sounds so pretty. Sorry you had trouble with inbreeds. Perhaps they will be easier to acquire someday.
You had a hen lay 3 eggs in a day. Man I need a couple of her.

It looks like we got a second layer! We haven't had any for a couple of days (but I've been renovating a coop and it's greeting dark earlier . . .) but today I heard the crow that says she laid an egg and I just found these in the bushes. Different colors! Don't give up!

Attachments

• 1005171554.jpg
    1005171554.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 8
It looks like we got a second layer! We haven't had any for a couple of days (but I've been renovating a coop and it's greeting dark earlier . . .) but today I heard the crow that says she laid an egg and I just found these in the bushes. Different colors! Don't give up!

I'm so jealous, wahhh!!! They're beautiful!

I am slowly giving up hope. Losing my will to live. All my life's energy, love, and spare change goes towards my chickens, none of whom reward me with their golden, million dollar eggs. Black Betty, my bantam cochin's comb and wattles are so red and plump they look like they're gonna explode. Still nothing....no squatting, no moist oval-shaped vent. (EWWWW!) I'm very sad.

Back
Top Bottom