Pics
Got a nice photo of Marshmallow today, she is crazy Rosie's sister. And one of me and my girlfriend, Licorice.
me2.jpg

marsh.jpg

those pictures are fake!! there is no poop and it is way too clean :oops: :lau

nice coop! very pretty and spacious!

LOL!!!!!!! :lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau
Thank you! My husband outdid himself when he built it!
The pictures are real...I promise! We (my husband and I) are very OCD...that coop gets cleaned every single day! The floor gets scooped and the roosts washed! You would think they would reward us with a few eggs...right? Instead we are greeted at the door with cute faces sweet coos and chirps asking for their daily treats!!:barnie

They even have the nerve to follow me to the nesting boxes and look inside each one with me and when I ask them where my egg is all I get is this:
IMG_7335.JPG

LOL!!!!!!! :lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau
Thank you! My husband outdid himself when he built it!
The pictures are real...I promise! We (my husband and I) are very OCD...that coop gets cleaned every single day! The floor gets scooped and the roosts washed! You would think they would reward us with a few eggs...right? Instead we are greeted at the door with cute faces sweet coos and chirps asking for their daily treats!!:barnie

They even have the nerve to follow me to the nesting boxes and look inside each one with me and when I ask them where my egg is all I get is this:
View attachment 1178730
lol, she still has a few weeks i'd say, she is not red at all

OK, so I have been wasting my time (as hubby loves to put it) poring over breeds of chicks that I will get in the spring, as

1.) You can never have enough chickens (obv).
2.) My flock of 14--as you know--really SUCKS at egg laying.

I composed a flow chart comparing different breeds and their unique characteristics. My qualifications are: super friendly, doglike, and sweet, smallish body size (much as I want Faverolles, they are too big with little wienie eggs) and lots of beautiful, delicious eggs (preferably laid before 27+ weeks!)

I have narrowed it down to the following: Sussex, Sex-Link (Star, Comet, ISA Brown, etc.), and Australorp. My one EE has quite a sucky personality and is terrified of me, so that's why I didn't include them.

So, for you experienced chicken people (as I'm still a rank newbie), which do you think is best, and why? Should I just get one of each? I am going to make my next choices more practical and less based on whim and appearance, although I love my useless, yard candy chickens <said tongue in cheek of course, I love them>.

Thanks in advance!! Love yas~

Cindi

You got lots of good feedback. Only one of your list that I've had are sex-link golden comets. Awesome layers, all year long, damn near every day. Sweet girls! Lost my last one a while back to a neighbors dog. :(

V__06B2.jpg WP_20151009_025.jpg WP_20160820_031 1.jpg

I agree ladies! We actually hung chairs in our coop so they would be there when we went out for our evening therapy session! I'll also take this opportunity to complain about my two 22 week old free loaders (Bonnie & Esmarelda)! Pictures of the guilty girls below:
View attachment 1178712

View attachment 1178717
View attachment 1178720
View attachment 1178719

Beautiful!!

OK, so I have been wasting my time (as hubby loves to put it) poring over breeds of chicks that I will get in the spring, as

So, for you experienced chicken people (as I'm still a rank newbie), which do you think is best, and why? Should I just get one of each? I am going to make my next choices more practical and less based on whim and appearance, although I love my useless, yard candy chickens <said tongue in cheek of course, I love them>.

Thanks in advance!! Love yas~

Cindi

Well, here's my lineup:

2 Barred Playmouth Rock - friendly and fluffy, great egg layers, nice medium to large brown eggs, both at the top of the pecking order, dislike the EE girls. They both handle well, but don't seem to enjoy it as much as before the laid eggs.

2 Easter Eggers - One is laying very sporadically, but her eggs are smallish. She is definitely low on the totem pole and gets picked on by nearly everyone. She is also small and kind of bony. She has does a mean/lean squat and likes to be massaged above the tail. The other one I don't think is laying yet unless her eggs are brown. She is also on the small side, but not bony. She rather not be handled.
I too keep hearing what good egglayers they are, docile, and good sized, but I'm not finding that to be true for my EE's.
Note: I had 2 EE roo's -- one was a sweet as pie and would go everywhere with me and was definitely my favorite. Well, when the hormones started raging he did too. There weren't enough girls for 3 roo's, and being lowest on the rooster scale he had to go. :(

3 Rhode Island Red - great egg layers, nice big brown eggs. 2 of the girls were very friendly before they started laying, but now only occasionally like to be handled. They sometimes growl at you if you try to take their egg out from under them. They are #2 in the pecking order and quite bossy and like to poke the BO and EE girls.

2 Buff Orpington - at least one (Marilyn) is laying nice size brown eggs almost daily, not sure if the other is laying or not. Marilyn is not the smartest chick in town, but she is a real lover, especially lately when I am cleaning the coop she becomes super needy and wanting attention. The other is also friendly, but not so needy. They are second lowest in pecking order behind the EE's.

That being said, if I had to choose only one breed, I think I would choose the barred rocks.

I have noticed that even though all of the girls were raised together, they often separate with their own kind. Anyone else notice this?

I agree ladies! We actually hung chairs in our coop so they would be there when we went out for our evening therapy session! I'll also take this opportunity to complain about my two 22 week old free loaders (Bonnie & Esmarelda)! Pictures of the guilty girls below:

I built a feed storage bin that I use as a bench when I'm out there, and then sometimes I just crawl around on the floor. Time seems to stand still when I'm in the coop. I just love it.

i think MPC is over priced for hatchery quality birds :oops: for cheap hatchery birds i go ideal out of TX [QUOTE/]
The shipping is what kills, it's like $45 for me for just shipping. I like them though for getting a bunch of different birds in the exact kind you want, and for rarer breeds than the feed stores have by me.

I actually called my Agway today to ask when they will have chicks, what the minimum is, and if they will have SS and 'lorps, lol!! And they said yes and a minimum of 3, so I will prolly just get from them next spring. :)

not my image but these are aloha NNs

They're still kinda creepy looking, lol!

I have read good things about SS might want to ask duluthralphie he breeds and shows them

You got lots of good feedback. Only one of your list that I've had are sex-link golden comets. Awesome layers, all year long, damn near every day. Sweet girls! Lost my last one a while back to a neighbors dog. :(

Beautiful!!

Great pictures -- I especially love them on the porch rail. I just read about them and what breeds were used, but forgot now.... RIR and BO or RIR and WElsummer I think.

My 2 week old baby is a black sex link. Mom is a Barred Rock and dad is either the RIR or EE. Time will tell who daddy was and whether or not she will be a good hen. I took her to the coop today and everyone was super interested. If I just let her go though they would kill her. Red Rider pulled her tail.
20171104_123157.jpg

Last week I introduced her to mama and she pecked her in the head.
20171030_112033.jpg

The unfortunate thing with sex links is that if you breed them together you don't get more sex links.

Back
Top Bottom