"I'm not an attorney, but I play one on a message board"

SewingDiva

Songster
12 Years
Aug 31, 2007
Westwood MA, South of Boston
I decided to post this just to remind people that it's not a good idea to believe everything you read on the internet or on BYC, especially when it comes to matters of law and regulation.

Anyone is allowed to express their opinion on a legal issue, however, no one should ever rely on anyone’s opinion unless that individual is an attorney who is licensed to practice law and you have retained them to represent you.

I know people want to be helpful when it comes to hot button issues such as "protecting your chickens and the Migratory Bird Act" or "whether you can have chickens in your town" or "NAIS" or whatever . If you are on the receiving end of such "advice" please remember that no one can legally dispense legal advice without a license to practice law, and anything you read on BYC, or any other message board for that matter, is just the opinion of a regular person just like you and nothing more.

We all need to be careful how we express ourselves publically when it comes to legal matters.
smile.png

Phyllis

Good post, SD.

No matter WHAT the subject matter is, it's our individual responsibility to research until we get the facts. Sometimes that means actually contacting an attorney, law enforcement, government office, sausage casing vendor...

But I digress.

Just because something made it onto the internet, doesn't mean it's fact.

Quote:
I thought that was "understood" but then I'm reminded that people still get in trouble from those stupid e-mails from Africa.

"Put your trust in God, but if he asks you to do something stupid, ask for I.D."

I can thank my guitar-playing attorney boss for us having chickens. I told him our deed wouldn't allow chickens / livestock, and he suggested I look at the length of time the deed restrictions were valid. Turns out the restrictions had expired three months prior (after 20 years!). Horay for real estate attorneys.

Hmm, you got me thinking... Could it be possible that my online therapist is a FAKE?
barnie.gif
He said he was board certified. Hmm, maybe he meant message board certified.
hit.gif
He said I was getting better. I bet he lied about that too.

You'll have to excuse me- I need to go talk to my chickens.

tongue2.gif
hee hee

Excellent post! Considering we don't screen any body from joining BYC, the "advice" we receive on any topic is always opinion.

We've got a community of very friendly and helpful members that want to go out of their way to support their fellow chicken enthusiasts in need. Unfortunately the advice / information supplied is often 4th person, untested, hearsay, etc. In 96.11% of the cases it won't make too much of a difference, but in some cases it can be pretty serious to apply incorrect advice without double checking the information and the source.

Back
Top Bottom