I'm sick of shipped chicks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeneyfoot, May 29, 2012.

1. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chirping

Dec 17, 2011
    I've bought day olds from many different reputable breeders and I've had as many as 5 die in each batch! I'm so mad! Ive talked to people who bought from these different people and they never had problems. What am I doing wrong? I give them electrolytes for the first 3 days and they are on reg chick crumble. The heat, brooder, and water are all perfect!! They just get weak and get trampled and die.. What am I doing wrong?!?! I am so upset. I know it's not those breeders fault. I don't know what im doing wrong.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Sounds like maybe they are in too small of an area

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Songster

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Can you post pictures of your set up? That might give us a better idea of what you might be doing wrong.

4. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chirping

Dec 17, 2011
    I have about 25 chicks in a 10X5 brooder. I don't think it's too small. The chicks just get weak and lay down.

5. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Thats a good idea

6. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    What type of bedding are you using?

7. 2StrayRoos

2StrayRoos Songster

Apr 16, 2011
    Edenton, North Carolina
    I also lost two of my bearded D'Anvers. Just got them last Wed. One died Sat. the other Mon. The heat is right, using chick-saver in water. I was told to switch to medicated feed. Was using plain chick starter. Bought some yesterday. So far so good. Mine were so tiny. They couldn't walk in the shavings, wings held straight down. Makes me think they were shipped too soon after hatching. No room in the small box either. Heat pack in the middle, couldn't move around. Mine did just like yours so heartbreaking[​IMG]Wish you all the luck.

8. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chirping

Dec 17, 2011
    I use pine bedding.

9. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Did you have them on shavings right away? Is it real fine shavings or chunky? I always start chciks out on paper towels they can eat the shavings and die

10. chickeneyfoot

chickeneyfoot Chirping

Dec 17, 2011
    It really sucks when a chick dies!!!! :((

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: