I'm sick to my stomach--PLEASE tell me this isn't a worm--PIC INCLUDED

chickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2007
Stillwater, NJ
I found this just now in my modern game bantams coop. Mind you these girls are probably only 1/2 pound in size. Could this possibly be a worm???? I found it in loose diarrhea and some chunks of what looked like bloody chunks of meat. Sorry for the visual.

If this is in fact a worm, wouldn't a bird so small be dead by now? All of them seem very healthy. One of them looks to be molting, maybe it isnt molting, maybe she is full of worms? I am so freaked out right now about this.

I treated these girls about 2 months ago with eprinex. I did the initial treatment and then one 10 days later. If this is a worm, why so large? How so large in just 2 months?

Just an added disgusting note, I pushed on one end of it and it appears to have fluidy bubbles inside of it.

Thanks for looking. Here's the pic:

Worm0032.jpg

Some wormers only take care of certain worms. You should also get some wazine 17 and put it in there water. My vet told me to get liquid prymantel. Its for fussy horses. It takes care of most of the poultry worms. She then gave me the proper dose. It takes care of all. And it only cost me $20 bucks give or take. If your interested I can give you the exact name and dosage. But yeah....that totally looks like a worm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. Wazine will only kill roundworms so that product is very limited. Eprinex, however, is supposed to kill a larger variety of internal and external parasites. I guess I need to find out what kind of worm this is so I can use the proper meds. I will look into the other wormer you mentioned, thanks.

Anyone have any idea what kind of worm this might be?

Last edited:
sickbyc.gif
That pic brings back memories of parasitology class. I don't know all the types of worms chickens get, but I do know that is most definitely a worm. From the looks of it, I would guess it's a roundworm.
sickbyc.gif

Sorry I thought wazine was for tape worms.....there's sooo many I get confused sometimes..lol. You can find it at tractor supply store. Do you have one of those? That's where I got mine. My vet actually gave me this whole worming chart with what meds do what and how much. I can scan it and email it to you if you would like...

sickbyc.gif
A person really has to be careful to read the bottle because laying hens eggs are effected by the wormer. There are some safe wormers but they are hard to find. THe only place I have found them is online but I live in a rural area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom