I'm so happy I could dance!! And a question about wood pallets.

gudrin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Minnesota
Husband and I went to visit the farm where his folks live this weekend. It was a very good visit, and we got some time to just go out on the gator and get some cool pictures. Whilst we were out roaming around, we decided to go up to his folks' old place (about a mile and a half away) and get some cement blocks to raise my compost tubs off the ground for better drainage. We had to pull up next to the old woodshed and I noticed some old tin lying on the ground. The gears in my mind started working. We also found some old hog flooring...The gears really started turning. Then we went back to the main farm site and I saw all kinds of wood pallets around. Hmmm..... Can you see where this is going?

Well, I after a consultation with the husband, it was decided that we would see if Dad could part with some of this stuff to help us build a dog shed. There is enough tin to do a full 10'x 6'dog shed, and we'll just buy 2x4's for the frame to make sure it's sturdy enough. Half will be for the dogs and half for storage of their food and the like.

But get this!!! This is the exciting part; at least for me. My mind started turning about what I could do with the wood pallets. Of course my first thought was chicken coop! And there should be enough tin left over for roofing and perhaps doing part of the siding of the coop! When I brought this up with my husband, who is not at all happy with the thought, he said, "You do what you want, I'll have nothing to do with it. I won't help you build. But you have to try and take apart one of the wood pallets before we lug them home." Yay! He essentially gave me permission to build a coop! And we can get quite a bit of the stuff free from his folks! I told him that I can make a good looking coop out of pallets and the like.

So, my question is, how do you take apart a wood pallet? Just some fun with a pry bar, hammer, and good old strength?

I just wish I knew when we would be able to get this stuff. We have to get Dad to help us out, because we have no way of hauling it. I told Dad I would help him load it onto the trailer and then we could bring it up here and I'd of course help him unload it all as well. I just don't want to take too much of Dad's time with this. Of course, we have his granddaughter, so a visit isn't so out of the ordinary. So excited!

Last edited:
Good luck taking those pallets apart, they are usually put together with the ribbed nails. My father made a picket fence from pallets when we were young, but he did not pull the nails just ground off the head and then cut the remainder. But you have to be careful cutting as not to ruin your saw blade. Or buy a good quality carbide blade.

tell your husband that pallets are a very good resource for almost anything!
we just got through with our garden fence, made completely out of them and it looks nice, not junky at all. we are also going to build a full sized fence with them. i bet you could make a nice coop with them!
we also used them in our goat pen for the floor, and they still look brand new.

Back
Top Bottom