I'm so tired of dog problems!!!

Quote:
Not if you're defending livestock (under most state laws).

Glad to hear it! I don't know, nor do I care, what the classification is where I live. I WILL be using my paintgun to let the neighbors know their dog has been somewhere it shouldn't be.
Last time I was "visited" by one of my neighbors dogs, I tried for 10 mins. to "shoo" it away. Yelling at it, telling it to go home. Throwing sticks, yelling more, nothing helped. Now I have a paintgun to "shoo" it away.
wink.png

Everyone might not agree with me, but I look at it that I have to protect my chickens and do whatever it takes or move to an island. I am a dog lover so I don't blame the dogs, but the owners. We all know people just don't care. I do not free range unless we are out in the yard with the girls and I know that even then something could sneak up on us. We have to remember that chickens are on the bottom of the food chain, therefore, it takes much more to keep them safe. There are always going to be predators looking for a free meal, so bottom line, it is my responsibility to keep my girls safe. And yes, I live on 20 acres, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I really don't blame others for their stupidity, cause you can't fix stupid, but I can fix the chicken's home to be secure.

Last edited:
You have it on video. I'd contact both animal control and the sheriff's/police department. They have a responsibility to contain their animals - most places have a leash law, or some regulations concerning controlling your dogs.

If the neighbor doesn't respond to your request for reimbursement, you could always go to small-claims court with your video to recoup the value of the chicken, if you want to show your neighbors you are serious.

I love animals, but if I had a repeated problem with the same owner's dogs after speaking with them, they'd end up at the shelter, or SSS if they were still killing my chickens.

That paint ball thing is one of the best idea's I've seen. Even better than writing a note and tagging it on the dog. I love it. That will show the owner what it could have been but instead some animal lover was humane enough to warn the owner. Fantastic idea.
cool.png

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I would think a bullet would be much more cruel. I don't really want to see anyone's dog shot and killed and that might send the right message. Especially if you have already tried to talk to the people that own the dog.

Perhaps look up some laws on dogs in your area...

In Washington the relevant ones are:

RCW 16.08.020
Dogs injuring stock may be killed.

It shall be lawful for any person who shall see any dog or dogs chasing, biting, injuring or killing any sheep, swine or other domestic animal, including poultry, belonging to such person, on any real property owned or leased by, or under the control of, such person, or on any public highway, to kill such dog or dogs, and it shall be the duty of the owner or keeper of any dog or dogs so found chasing, biting or injuring any domestic animal, including poultry, upon being notified of that fact by the owner of such domestic animals or poultry, to thereafter keep such dog or dogs in leash or confined upon the premises of the owner or keeper thereof, and in case any such owner or keeper of a dog or dogs shall fail or neglect to comply with the provisions of this section, it shall be lawful for the owner of such domestic animals or poultry to kill such dog or dogs found running at large.

RCW 16.08.030
Marauding dog — Duty of owner to kill.

It shall be the duty of any person owning or keeping any dog or dogs which shall be found killing any domestic animal to kill such dog or dogs within forty-eight hours after being notified of that fact, and any person failing or neglecting to comply with the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and it shall be the duty of the sheriff or any deputy sheriff to kill any dog found running at large (after the first day of August of any year and before the first day of March in the following year) without a metal identification tag.

I got a fence around our property, wooden with hogwire on the inside. If anything gets in to get my chickens, its not getting out alive if I can help it. I have dog problems here too. I got two llamas, a miniature horse and an emu that will tear up anything that gets inside that fence that isnt supposed to be in it. I also go by the SSS rule...no mercy out here in the sticks.

Everyone has valid points and is also entitled to their opinion. I am well aware of all the animal laws in our county. I do have every right to shoot any dog harming my livestock. There is one dog that runs loose that does not chase the chickens he does not bother me that he runs loose except that it drives my dogs insane and they are tearing up my house because there is a dog outside. Our property is completely fenced except for an opening at the driveway which i can't fence because of an easement to the property behind us. Short of running a driveway fence on both sides of it right down my side yard it will never be completely fenced. This is one reason why we are moving. The neighbors acrossed the street are the ones that really driving me up a wall. The only sane person in that house is the dad. He's great. The first time years ago that his oldest sons dog killed a chicken he killed the dog to show his son a lesson. He had been told time and time again that he is not to let the dog run loose and if he did kill a chicken then the dog would die. The boy was about 16 at the time. I admire the dad for doing that. The mom is a whole other story. you would think that the younger son whose dog did the killing yesterday would have learned from his brothers mistake. they know I will kill the dog. The only time the dogs are ever let out is when we are not home to witness such attacks.

My point is this - I am well within the law. My animals are on my property. My chickens do not leave my property. We spent the money to fence in our dogs with what we thought was a secure fence. It wasn't and since we knew we were moving we choose to bring our dogs inside the house and only let them out when we are home. In doing this it leaves the chickens unprotected. This is a choice we made. It is a risk we take letting our chickens free range unprotected. We know that and accept it. However - my point again is that due to other irresponsible people we have to make sacrifices and change the way we go things and where we put our dogs. We are being responsible when no else is. That is what drives me insane.

Back
Top Bottom