Im Sooooo SAD!

puppetlady

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
North Carolina Mountains
A couple of my new RIR hens decapitated and were eating the head from a younger bird!

I just recently started my own backyard flock as a hobby with the hope of eggs as a benefit. I acquired a flock of about 10 birds recently, which came with two young ones. One of the younger birds already had a damaged eye from being pecked. The previous owner is also inexpeireced and she said she just put the two young birds in with the flock and several of the older hens attacked just this one bird so she removed them both and kept them seperate.

I thought it would be better to introduce the young birds to the flock using a dog crate to keep them seperated. I've had the younger birds enclosed in a large dog crate and then put the crate in the hen house. They've been in there with the hens for almost a week and I was just considering letting them out. This afternoon I heard a lot of unusual racket coming from the hen house and went in to investiage and found the carnage of this poor fellow. I'm shocked that the poor little fellow didn't just move to another area of the cage to keep from getting pecked like that. The other one escaped harm again, they seem to prefer that one to the one that has died.

Do birds pick on certain babies if they sense that there is something wrong with it internally? I just can't figure out why they would constantly bother one bird but then accept another? I'm told that they were both from the same flock.

Is it proper to keep young birds out of the flock entirely until they are fully grown? I believe these are about 8 - 10 weeks old. They are smaller bantams, but almost as large as others in the flock. The RIR don't bother the adults.

So.... now that the RIR have tasted meat/blood are they going to be visious? They were pecking at my shins and hands when I went in to remove the mess.

I feel so bad for the little bird and will feel terrible if this was due to me trying to rush the process.
sad.png

That's terrible!
It is best to keep young birds out of the flock until they are grown up. I don't know if they will be vicious from now on.

Oh, and welcome!

If the hens attack you again, make sure you put them in their place. Whenever I have a bird get feisty with me I tap them sharply with a fingertip almost like a peck. If that doesn't work (although it usually does) then pick up the offender and carry it around with you for a while. Don't let it struggle free. Make sure it knows YOU are head of the flock.

As far as introducing youngsters to the flock... it's usually a good idea to wait until the new ones are about the same size as the older hens before introductions are made. Smaller hens get picked on by the bigger, stronger, more experienced elders. It's also a good idea to introduce more than one bird at a time- singletons get really picked on by everyone, all at once.

Good luck. And
welcome-byc.gif

We had two young chicks killed by the older members of the flock earlier this year, one had leg development problems (splayed leg etc), as well as being just plain runty, feather development was irregular. Anyways she was the first to go, and then a few days later a chick we called "loud mouth" who was always chirping about something died (she may not have been attacked as there was only one injury that looked like one of the other chickens may have pecked her to get her moving and we didn't see or hear anything like we did with the first one).

Chickens do tend to pick on the weak members of their flock, and it may be in your and my cases that they were separating out the weak. My chickens have not even touched the other two except for an occasional "mind your place" peck here and there. So yeah I think the other will be safe, but wait until they get up to around the same size as the older birds.

oh gosh how terrible!!!!

I think CMV gave great advice. Luckily I have never had that happen, but I keep my chickens separated by breed and/or size.

It could have something to do with the pecking order (hierarchy). That bird may have been the lowest and therefore the most vunerable and it was attacked due to this? This is my idea of what could have been the problem. I'm so sorry to hear about you loss
hugs.gif

So sorry for the delayed "Thank You" I had a hard time finding my post after it trailed down the list. I discovered that I can view just my own posts, so that made it much easier since I only started two thread topics.
big_smile.png

Thank you again for all of your posts with tips, welcomes, & hugs!

Back
Top Bottom