I'm still shaking, WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

The problem is dogs are a natural predator and we forget that fact. Dog owners should have the common courtesy to keep their dogs contained on their property. There is a HUGE lack of support for the people who suffer dog attacks! However, with that being said, I saw a lot of cases in my day where the owners of the attacked animals do not wish to press charges or sue the liable parties due to a variety of reasons, some just plain out fear their neighbors, yet they are in situations where they cannot move.

While it is sad to say that you have to keep other peoples animals off your property at your expense in the long run it will save a lot of heartaches for animal owners. It may not be fair, but it is reality. Where we live we have a right to shoot animals attacking our livestock or if you are in mortal fear for your life of an animal. Also, ALL dogs must be vaccinated against rabies by law in California, not sure about other states. And their rabies MUST be current.

I just helped with an episode in another county were the animal control officer let a dog go that attacked and killed a llama and did not contain the animal. She also did not require the owner to provide proof of rabies because "she was under the impression, Llama's cannot get rabies".

There are ways to deal with things, but it can be time consuming and sometimes scarey. I have worked with and trained dogs for 30 years. While I get frustrated with owners irresponsiblity and how their dogs turn out, I understand probably a lot better than most the damage dogs can do. It is also physcological (sorry poor spelling) to the poor person who has to deal with the mass deaths dogs can cause in livestock. Also, most owners who have aggressive dogs, even if they are willing to give up their dogs, they will just repeat the pattern. I would see if your neighbor will help you pay for hot wire...

I am really sorry about your chickens. One of my german shepherds got 2 of my chickens this summer. I cried for 3 days. The dog lives elsewhere now. I hope she decides to rehome the dogs instead of killing them.

I never understand why people let dogs run loose.

Last edited:
Sorry about your chickens. At least your neighbor is doing the right thing. My sisters dogs have killed so many of my chickens and she doesn't care. Her dogs take priority over everything and everyone! (including people)

Your post reminds me of something that happened two years ago .We have a Lab/Pit bull mix “Odis”. He is a great dog .We had him "snipped" poor guy.Anyways has never snapped or chased any animals on our farm. He loves the animals i found him snuggling in with the pigs last week. He cleans the baby goats. He takes summer naps with Cows. So we hear our dog barking by the back door and hubby runs to see what it was. So hubby let odis out and he Sprits down to the coop with hubby running shortly behind and I couldn’t believe what he said happened next. I guess Odis had grabbed one of the strays as he was protruding threw a hole it had dug under the chicken wire .As i was walking to the coop i was hearing what i thought was Odis crying welping.It was actually Odis dragging the stray away from the Coop . I don’t think Odis wanted to hurt the stray actually Odis wasn’t even growling . I think he just wanted them away from his Friends.Hubby ran over got Odis to let go of the stray .At first hubby thought it was a wolf but after all it was just a hungry husky.We put the stray in the barn that night and gave it some Food and took it to the shelter the next morning. It couldn’t have been neighbor dog seeing our closest neighbor is 5 miles away. We never get angry at the dogs.It is there nature to hunt when they are hungery.We get mad at the owners who can’t seem to contain there dogs . Even worse the ones who dump their dog off on a country road thinking a nice farm family will just take them in .When in fact the dogs get hungry end up eating the farmer’s chickens, Turkeys, and yes even baby goats. The farmer ends up shooting it.Sutch a waste of life. While on the subject that’s how we got “Odis” . Just a little puppy sitting on the side of the dirt road waiting for someone to come along about 100 yards from the house. Also once a dog get the taste for chicken they will never stop. 30 plus years on a farm

Our idiot neighbor has two hunting dogs that he ties up right up on our fence. Its only a matter of time before the dogs make it over/through that fence and to my birds. The guns are loaded and the relevant county and state laws are printed up, ready to go. I also have target stencils and two cans each of red and white spray paint. When your dog comes home with a target spray-painted on its ass, you know its been bothering the neighbors!

Oddly enough, the only time we had a stray dog dig under the fence and fully into our yard, our potbelly pig Spike gouged the dog to death. Animal Control took the corpse away, so I never did learn if they managed to track it down.

Morale of my story: mess with my chickens and you get Spike'd.

41346_may5_011.jpg

Quote:
pitbulls and some of their crosses doesn't make a sound when they bite/ fight, we have 3 bull terriers/ pitbull crosses living with our goats, sheep, pigs, chickens and ducks, they're great with our animals and deadly to other predators, we usually don't hear a thing when they get something at night, even a dog.... we just find them left by the front door in the morning.
lol.png

Quote:
Good on her... not many people own up to their/ their pets mistakes.

It would be hard to deny.
When I got to her barn where she was working one of my polish pullets that she had just taken from her dog was laying on the ground and its wing was a few feet away.

Back
Top Bottom