I'm still shaking, WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES

Quote:
What a nice Hawk to save one for you. (Probably has a sore back from trying to carry off the JG.)
Awefully nice of the guy from the retirement home to bring your chicken back.

Quote:
Be sure to give that survivor lots of love and treats. She will be in some sort of shock. Perhaps bring her in, keep her warm and pampered.

Glad she is okay.
hugs.gif

D

Yeah, I worry about your neighbor. She said she had others - will they be visiting you too?? They'll probably go out and get some more dogs plus, I hope no one in your area adopts her chicken killers. Good grief - any idiot can buy dogs and breed dogs and turn dogs loose, and they do!!! None of our neighbors ever heard of a leash or putting their dog in a run - they are free as a breeze.

It amazes me the lack of research some people do before getting a dog, and how little time or knowledge is spent on training. high prey drive dogs can have there energies channelled in other directions through training but i would still never let one loose near livestock

Some breeds it’s the excitement when the poultry run. My two dogs will not go near my chickens unless they start to run and squawk. Then they take out after them. I'm working on training them not to do that but like others said . . . its instinct.

Thankfully I only have one that gets out of the pen and runs and squawks . . . a lonesome roo!

I hope your JG is okay
hugs.gif
I also know the extreme frustration in raising chicks from scratch to have them killed by dogs. Unfortunately, my experience comes from my dog and my first hen. Needless to say, I gave it away to my sister and haven't had the problem since. Unfortunately I do not live in the country so have not experienced "free ranging dogs" as such but my advice would be SSS.
smile.png

If we get stray dogs, we put a note around their neck that this is the first and only warning to keep their dogs off our property. Some owners are really naive about what their dogs will and will not do! We had someone's Aussie mix get through our fences and kill a free range chicken, we tied the chicken with the note as well! Haven't seen the dog since.

It always kills me when someone says "poor dog" when that 'poor thing' just brutally murdered other animals. I'm not a bit sad to see a dangerous predator dealt with. It happens in nature, and it happens with humans. Even with humans, there's always someone who feels really bad for the perpetrator. Bah. Poor chickens! Poor you!

It's really sad to see this, I just lost yesterday my SLW to my next door neighboor's dog and it was heartbreaking hearing my daughter ask for her and say she misses her
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom