I'm SURE this is not a Barnvelder!

shellrae7

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Pleasant Grove, UT
I bought 3 supposed Barnvelder Chicks, and one now looks like THIS! I am sure it's not a Barnvelder, but I don't recognize it for what it may be. It should be pure, as the eggs it came from were from a breeder. I don't know the person though as my friend hatched the eggs. Its about 2.5 months old here.

Any thoughts on what this may be?

268360_1893911705593_1175562101_31800728_5126627_a.jpg

Sorry, I can't seem to make it bigger. Trying to hack Facebook and get the link these days is impossible! :)

Last edited:
Not a Barnie at all. Looks like a mix of some sort. Even "breeders" can make mistakes, and roosters can jump fences.

It looks a lot like many Easter Eggers do. She's pretty, but not a Barnevelder. Taker her back, or ask for more chicks.

If it is a small bird, the coloration indicates Campine or Golden Penciled Hamburg. If it has a rose comb I would say Hamburg, it a single comb it could be a Campine. If it is a large bird, wide across the back, it is neither of the breeds I suggested.

Hmmmm, I looked up Campines online, and the coloring fits as a possibility, but she's not nearly as pretty as the photos I saw. Not an Ameracauna or EE, she has no beard or muffs, and her legs do not have the green sheen.

I will just have to keep watching her as she grows and see what color egg she lays. It says Campines lay a white egg. Thanks for all the input, I would've have never thought of that as I've never had a Campine, or even seen one. I will have to look closer at the comb when I go out to feed this morning.

Last edited:
Quote:
Have you sent the breeder a photo? Maybe they will have some insight to what they sold you. At least it looks like a girl!

I agree, I'd send the breeder a picture. If they have an issue they are not aware of, most breeders will want to know.

Back
Top Bottom