I'm SURE this is not a Barnvelder!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shellrae7, Jun 26, 2011.

1. shellrae7

shellrae7 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    I bought 3 supposed Barnvelder Chicks, and one now looks like THIS! I am sure it's not a Barnvelder, but I don't recognize it for what it may be. It should be pure, as the eggs it came from were from a breeder. I don't know the person though as my friend hatched the eggs. Its about 2.5 months old here.

Any thoughts on what this may be?

[​IMG]
    Sorry, I can't seem to make it bigger. Trying to hack Facebook and get the link these days is impossible! :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Not a Barnie at all. Looks like a mix of some sort. Even "breeders" can make mistakes, and roosters can jump fences.

It looks a lot like many Easter Eggers do. She's pretty, but not a Barnevelder. Taker her back, or ask for more chicks.

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    If it is a small bird, the coloration indicates Campine or Golden Penciled Hamburg. If it has a rose comb I would say Hamburg, it a single comb it could be a Campine. If it is a large bird, wide across the back, it is neither of the breeds I suggested.

4. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:I couldn't for the life of me think of Campine! That was my first reaction too. I guess my coffee hasn't taken effect yet!

5. shellrae7

shellrae7 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Hmmmm, I looked up Campines online, and the coloring fits as a possibility, but she's not nearly as pretty as the photos I saw. Not an Ameracauna or EE, she has no beard or muffs, and her legs do not have the green sheen.

I will just have to keep watching her as she grows and see what color egg she lays. It says Campines lay a white egg. Thanks for all the input, I would've have never thought of that as I've never had a Campine, or even seen one. I will have to look closer at the comb when I go out to feed this morning.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  6. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Have you sent the breeder a photo? Maybe they will have some insight to what they sold you. At least it looks like a girl!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Have you sent the breeder a photo? Maybe they will have some insight to what they sold you. At least it looks like a girl!

I agree, I'd send the breeder a picture. If they have an issue they are not aware of, most breeders will want to know.

8. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    i think it's a golden penciled hamburg

9. coltsdad

coltsdad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Ward Arkansas
    It could be golden penciled hamburg, campine or buttercup.

10. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Quote:X2! I have some and they look similar [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by