Impacted/doughy crop

Mvan42

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
One of my girls has a impacted/doughy crop. It's not Rock hard but firm/doughy, I am able to massage it. I can feel the feed and things she has eaten. She is drinking but not wanting to walk. We r getting as much water as possible into her. But when she drinks it seems to be hard for her to swallow it, take a extra second or so to completely get to the crop.

I check her this morning crop isn't as full but still has alot of stuff in it.

We have separated her to keep an eye on her. Poo looks normal.

Advice on what I can do to help her out. She seems ok other than not walking.

How old is she, and has she been laying normal eggs recently? Is her lower belly between the legs enlarged? With a doughy crop, a lot of water and massaging in a downward motion may help break up the blockage. You can learn to tube feed water or electrolytes into her crop with a piece of air tubing or a feeding tube to lubricate the doughy crop so that it moves on. A tsp of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces and offered may help her pass the blockage. Sometimes their may be blockage further down in the gizzard, or pressure from internal laying or other problems. Here is a good thread to help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What do you feed?
How old is the bird?
Have you brought any new Heard some in the last few months?
Have you ever dewormed your flock or treated for coccidiosis?

There's no real need to separate a bird unless it's being picked on.
Separating a bird from the flock can stress it and stressing it is not good.

She is 2 years old. They get laying mesh and scratch grains they also free range. No one new to the heard since spring when I got some chicks. Yes I have used safe guard to de worm but not lately I did give her some yesterday. Because I wasn't sure what was wrong then discovered her crop. I haven't treated for coccidiosis since spring. There hasn't been any runny poo or signs of it. I normally treat all of them if any runny poo showed up. A just incase treatment.

She is 2 years old. They get laying mesh and scratch grains they also free range. No one new to the heard since spring when I got some chicks. Yes I have used safe guard to de worm but not lately I did give her some yesterday. Because I wasn't sure what was wrong then discovered her crop. I haven't treated for coccidiosis since spring. There hasn't been any runny poo or signs of it. I normally treat all of them if any runny poo showed up. A just incase treatment.
Do you give scratch grains daily?
If not how often do you give it?

Yes it's mixed in 1/2 bag scratch with 1 bag of mesh into their feeder. 50lb bags
I highly recommend that you stop mixing like this immediately.

It is very possible this particular bird is picking out only scratch grains to eat and is not getting a balanced diet which will cause problems such as what you're seeing.
Hopefully it is nothing serious but it could be.

I would not feed scratch grains daily at all.
Maybe feed a tiny amount once a week but definitely not daily.

Ok, she is in a separate area with no access to the feeder right now. So we can keep an eye on her and make sure she is getting fluids. Bringing her inside during the day to get her drinking as much as possible. I will try the coconut oil to see if that helps. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom