Impacted / Sour Crop Baby Chick

blitzdude

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 2, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Oh no one of our chicks has developed a very swollen crop that wont go away. I have researched the board watched a bunch of youtube videos but no matter what we try it just seems to be getting worse. :(

Wife brought home 3 baby Silkies on Friday they are 1 week old. She immediately noticed that one had the swollen chest, newbies we thought it was some sort of abscess. After reading the boards it is certainly her crop. Yesterday she was eating ok but acting a bit strange, couldn't keep her balance etc. We tried massaging her crop, giving her a tiny bit of olive oil and some chick grit.

First thing this morning I massaged her for about 15 minutes, put her down and she ate some grit and chick starter. Since then the crop is getting notably larger, can't get her to eat or drink and she's definitely not happy. I have tried holding her upside down and massaging but all that comes up is a bit of clear bubbly saliva looking stuff, somewhat slimy but clear.

The crop is not hard, it feels rubbery somewhat like a water balloon is the best way I can describe it. Anyway I just want to make sure I am not trying to clear it when it might just be sour or vise versa. How do I know? Poor little thing.

Please don’t do any of the things you have done again. Chicks normally may have big swollen crops after they eat constantly. Was the chick acting normally, eating and drinking before you started treatments? They can sometimes eat pine shavings and get an impacted crop, but it would not have a sour crop at this age. Turning the chick over to try and vomit it is very dangerous. Massaging a really full crop can cause them to vomit and aspirate or choke on crop contents. Try to let the chick rest and offer water. Dip it’s beak a few times for a second, then let it swallow. This just may be a big eater. Chicks do not need grit until they are outside on grass or eating food other than chick starter.

Last edited:
I was told by multiple people to start adding small amounts of chick grit at 1 week of age. No the chick wasn't acting normal at all. She does not stay with the others, seems very disoriented and could not keep her balance. Remarkably still alive this morning but crop is even bigger, doesn't even want water and just sits there lifting head / stretching her neck like she is trying to vomit. Poor thing.

I am sorry that she is not any better. I just wanted to stress that they don’t suffer from sour crop at this age. But they can be weak or suffer from problems after hatching. She might have eaten some bedding which cold cause crop impaction. It doesn’t sound hopeful for your chick. If you have coconut oil, some refrigerate it and then cut it into small slivers for a chick to eat. Then you can massage the crop several times a day. I would first dip her beak into water several times for a quick second letting her swallow, just so water might soften the crop contents. Most poultry books say that they do not need grit until they are eating food other than chick feed, including grass, bugs, or other foods.

Oh no one of our chicks has developed a very swollen crop that wont go away. I have researched the board watched a bunch of youtube videos but no matter what we try it just seems to be getting worse. :(

Wife brought home 3 baby Silkies on Friday they are 1 week old. She immediately noticed that one had the swollen chest, newbies we thought it was some sort of abscess. After reading the boards it is certainly her crop. Yesterday she was eating ok but acting a bit strange, couldn't keep her balance etc. We tried massaging her crop, giving her a tiny bit of olive oil and some chick grit.

First thing this morning I massaged her for about 15 minutes, put her down and she ate some grit and chick starter. Since then the crop is getting notably larger, can't get her to eat or drink and she's definitely not happy. I have tried holding her upside down and massaging but all that comes up is a bit of clear bubbly saliva looking stuff, somewhat slimy but clear.

The crop is not hard, it feels rubbery somewhat like a water balloon is the best way I can describe it. Anyway I just want to make sure I am not trying to clear it when it might just be sour or vise versa. How do I know? Poor little thing.

I was told by multiple people to start adding small amounts of chick grit at 1 week of age. No the chick wasn't acting normal at all. She does not stay with the others, seems very disoriented and could not keep her balance. Remarkably still alive this morning but crop is even bigger, doesn't even want water and just sits there lifting head / stretching her neck like she is trying to vomit. Poor thing.
Can you post some photos of your chick in natural lighting, her poop too?
If you have video of her actions that may be helpful as well (again in natural lighting if possible-red lamps make it hard to see). For video, upload to youtube, then provide a link.

Can you separate her in the brooder onto some puppy pads, make sure she stays warm and make water available.
I would also give her a little coconut oil and massage the crop.

Have you looked inside the beak to make sure there is no obstruction in the throat or she doesn't have a hair or string somewhere in there.

Back
Top Bottom