"Important" Question regarding lameness in older chicks

LuvBantums

Songster
Jul 7, 2017
North Carolina
I'm posting this so I can better understand what is making some of my bantams lame at the age of 1 1/2 to 2 months old. They are very healthy one day and within a few days become lame without any type of injuries. If there is anything I can do to prevent and/or cure them of this....please any information will help. I'm at a loss!! Thank you

I'm posting this so I can better understand what is making some of my bantams lame at the age of 1 1/2 to 2 months old. They are very healthy one day and within a few days become lame without any type of injuries. If there is anything I can do to prevent and/or cure them of this....please any information will help. I'm at a loss!! Thank you
Hi there. :frow

Sorry you are facing this. :(

Are these chicks being raised by broody's or inside a brooder? Hatched at your place or from somewhere else? Have you ever had a Marek's diagnosis at your place or in your flock? Are any of your birds vaccinated for Marek's?

Are there any noticeable symptoms or behaviors aside from the lameness such as ravenous appetite or none? Any change to pupil shape or iris color in the eyes? Change in droppings? All one breed or many breeds of bantam chicks, which?

What do you feed including treats and supplements prior to noticing this condition? How long has this lameness been popping up in your chicks already?

What have you done to treat the lameness and what have your result been thus far?

:fl

ETA: Are you able to post a video?

Hi there. :frow

Sorry you are facing this. :(

Are these chicks being raised by broody's or inside a brooder? Hatched at your place or from somewhere else? Have you ever had a Marek's diagnosis at your place or in your flock? Are any of your birds vaccinated for Marek's?

Are there any noticeable symptoms or behaviors aside from the lameness such as ravenous appetite or none? Any change to pupil shape or iris color in the eyes? Change in droppings? All one breed or many breeds of bantam chicks, which?

What do you feed including treats and supplements prior to noticing this condition? How long has this lameness been popping up in your chicks already?

What have you done to treat the lameness and what have your result been thus far?

:fl

ETA: Are you able to post a video?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but it's been crazy around here. These were hatched by the hen, but my husband brought them in due to the rat problem we having. These are mixed cochin bantams and my husband feed the hens laying crumbles and treats once in a blue moon. I found out he tried to make them stop laying and now I know what has caused this. He was feeding them mostly scratch feed for a time. I didn't know he was doing this and now I know why they are like this......vitamin deficiency!!! Now that I know this, what can I do to the ones that are getting so much worse. I don't think he has ever had Marek's with his flock because they have never been tested. Now, my Seramas are all tested once a year for NPIP and for AI every six months. My flock is far away from them and mine have netting over their whole lot with 6 foot privacy fencing/gating. His stay in an area where they can't even get to mine. They are also fenced in and none can touch another. Thank you so much for getting back with me and I'm so sorry it took so long for me to get back.

Now that I know this, what can I do to the ones that are getting so much worse.
Use a chick starter feed with 22% protein (or flock raiser 20%) and put Poultry nutri drench in the water for about 1 week to 10 days according to directions. More drastic steps may be needed for any with serious issues. And of course, educating the hubby if possible. Marek's is not part of the NPIP testing in most states nor required to to be reported. But vitamin deficit is a real possibility.

Hang in there! :fl :hugs

Use a chick starter feed with 22% protein (or flock raiser 20%) and put Poultry nutri drench in the water for about 1 week to 10 days according to directions. More drastic steps may be needed for any with serious issues. And of course, educating the hubby if possible. Marek's is not part of the NPIP testing in most states nor required to to be reported. But vitamin deficit is a real possibility.

Hang in there! :fl :hugs
One is doing better than the other and I crushed up complex b tonight. I hope that helps. I need to get some more nutri drench, because I gave them what I had left and forgot to pick more up today and that's why I crushed up the vitamin. I have to help one drink it's getting that bad. My husband is old school when it comes to his chickens, but he does have a big heart for them. Thank you so much!!

My husband is old school when it comes to his chickens, but he does have a big heart for them.
I wouldn't call myself old school. But I do believe in survival of the fittest among my flock and breed for resistance to disease. I will cull (sell or send to freezer camp) any who aren't thriving... BUT, that is presuming I have provided adequately. Most of my birds, especially chicks would soon be failing if fed mostly or only scratch. Scratch is chips of the chicken world. It provides energy but not nutrients in sufficient amounts. Just for discussion and information... I'm always surprised when I look at scratch and find it's just as pricey as feed since I thought people fed it cuz it was cheaper. I think most just don't realize it meant to be a treat. Yes, even though I cull hard I do also have a big heart (like your hubby), and was surprised to find myself crying a week or so after my head rooster had a fatal accident. It's good to be aware of and accept the circle of life. But it's also okay to have a connection with the creatures in our lives. :love

B complex should help. Also, maybe feed them a scrambled egg which is loaded with nutrients and micro nutrients including 34% protein.

I'm sure he would not knowing do something that would be detrimental. We all do our best until we learn something better. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom