Impressions of the Taste of My First Home-Grown Chicken

Salt and Light

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Osteen, FL
Butchered a 6 week old x-rock on Saturday AM. Refrigerated it until Sunday PM. Cut him in half and onto the grill for 1.25 hours and then covered with mustard BBQ sauce. My wife,3 y/o son and I ate over 1/2 the bird. Here is my comparison of home-grown ~vs~ store-bought bird.

The bird definitely smelled and tasted different. I think just the fact that it had a smell is different than store-bought meat. The meat was a little firmer, not tough but just firm. It looked identical to store-bought.

I can best describe the taste as "meatier". It wasn't at all unsavory but it had a different taste.

I would like to do a test and serve a home-grown bird to and unknowing "victim" just to see what they thought.

Quote:
If you want it a little juicier and a touch less of the gamey taste mix a salt brine solution and put the processed chicken in it in the fridge for 24 hours.

If you want it a little juicier and a touch less of the gamey taste mix a salt brine solution and put the processed chicken in it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Good tip; thanks.​

I'm not trying to put down anyone's opinion, but I don't understand brining. I mean, I understand it's stated purpose, but I don't believe it produces a better product.

The fresh-killed chicken was not gamey, it was just meatier. It wasn't bad, just different.

Also, I thought of a few other ways in which my bird was different from store-bought:

1. No injection of salt water/preservatives (which are paid for)

2. No antibiotics, steroids, salmonella, etc. The ONLY hands that touched the bird were mine.

3. The bird had a good healthy life, which sharpely contrast with the life of a commercially-raised bird.

All and all, I'm very please with the home-grown product and will continue.

The only thing I noticed on our birds was the "meatier" taste.
Although my eight year old seems to Really notice a difference.......... since we started eating our chickens He has asked for seconds and thirds........... To watch him eat it you would think it was the best meat in the world..... And don't leave any scraps on your plate because he will take them....LOL also don't let go of it to get a drink with your dinner cause it might not be on your plate when you return to the table.............. He is absolutley crazy about it......

I brined some of my recent processing and left some plain. I actually liked the plain better. I could taste the saltiness of the brining and i really didn't like it. I processed cornish xs that free ranged a lot, I'm currently raising meat rangers and wondering if they will be tougher.

Back
Top Bottom