In coop or separate?

Aprilboys

In the Brooder
May 18, 2021
My hen is laying on about 15 eggs. Found a chick that drowned in her water bowl this morning. 😢

I checked the other eggs and have not seen any peck marks. I’m not sure what day I’m on. She surprised me with the nest! Since one hatched, I’d assume around 21 days.

Is it normal to not have any peck cracks in any of the other eggs?
Also, do I need to separate her and the chicks from the other hens/rooster when/if they hatch?

Stick some river rocks or golf balls in the water bowl so other chicks don't stumble and fall in.

It's best to keep the broody and chicks in proximity to the flock but protect them with a barrier at first. Once the chicks are under the broody's full control, she will probably be able to protect them and keep them oriented to her rather than have some stray to other hens and get themselves into trouble.

Stick some river rocks or golf balls in the water bowl so other chicks don't stumble and fall in.

It's best to keep the broody and chicks in proximity to the flock but protect them with a barrier at first. Once the chicks are under the broody's full control, she will probably be able to protect them and keep them oriented to her rather than have some stray to other hens and get themselves into trouble.
Thank you for your reply! How do I keep a barrier and still be able for the hen to get out? She’s in a one of the nesting boxes now. Right outside the box is a ramp that leads to under the coop. She won’t move. I tried to relocate her and the eggs but she refused to sit on them in a different location. So back in the nesting box they went.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
She will sit tight to the nest for a couple of days. Watch close in case you have a trouble maker, but she should be able to stay with the flock. The hen might scuffle, but the chicks should be fine. What type of waterer do you have?

She will sit tight to the nest for a couple of days. Watch close in case you have a trouble maker, but she should be able to stay with the flock. The hen might scuffle, but the chicks should be fine. What type of waterer do you have?
I have a big watered outside the coop. I just put a little bowl in next to her so she wouldn’t have to leave. Which now I know was a big mistake and I feel terrible for the poor little chick. I took the water bowl away. So if she needs a drink she’ll have to leave the coop.

Hey how's the hen getting on? any more eggs hatch?

Regarding water, by all means, put the bowl back next to her as the chicks will need water too but as azygous mentioned, add some river rocks, marbles or just grab some clean stones, and add them into the bowl so that it's ok to drink from but not deep enough to cause problems. Some good examples/advice here.

She’s had 13 hatched and the last one on the way! I had to assist one. I’ve been sitting in the coop with her spoon feeding her water. Babies are all doing great! Thank you for asking ❤️

Back
Top Bottom