In demand chicken breeds

I personally have been looking for cream legbar chickens.
1. They are beautiful and upon research seem to be a more friendly chicken
2. Produces blue eggs- right now my chickens will lay pinkish, brown and chocolate.
3. I think I am addicted to chickens.
My Cream Legbar Fiona is my hands down favorite out of my small flock. I have 5 girls that are almost 3 months old so they are not laying yet. She is beautiful, petite and so, so friendly. I have raised all 5 from 2 day old chicks and handled all 5 at least once daily for their first 6 weeks or so. The Wellsummer is also very friendly and loves to be picked up. The Easter Egger and Black Copper Marans are very sweet but don't really like to be handled now that they are big girls. And depending on the day, the Barred Plymouth Rock will let me pick her up but is pretty indifferent.

I'm just curious what chicken breeds people are most interested in for their backyard flock. :)
I have 3 NH Reds (they are sweet and nosey) 2 Buff Orpingtons (super sweet) and two Easter Eggers. One of my Eggers is a lunatic but we love her. She acts like she has had too much caffeine, but she is also sweet. All my girls get along great. Not even sure who the "boss" is. They are 9 months old now. My crazy Egger is in my Avatar. That's Frederika (aka Freddi)

The more heat tolerant, the better.... Andalusian, Sapphire Gem. If I didn't have too low a fence, I'd consider egyptian fayoumi.
I'm considering Fayoumi. They are so small! Cute. There are some free range Fayoumi's not far from my home. I am in Arizona where of course it gets pretty hot.

I'm just curious what chicken breeds people are most interested in for their backyard flock. :)

I am keen on rarer breeds. I bought Asil's & I think a Saipan sold as an Asil (aren't they about the same thing?) & some long tailed Japanese. Terrible for eggs, but just being a small household we don't require too many (eggs) anyway.

Well, our first set of must-haves to join our Australorp and Leghorn layers are in the brooder now. They include 2 gold laced wyandottes, 3 lavender orpingtons, an EE, what we think is a wellsummer, and a few mystery chicks. Some were a rare assortment so there will be surprises.

Assuming none of those surprises include them, next on the list are speckled sussex and cream legbar.

Back
Top Bottom