In demand chicken breeds

Pics
It's hard for me to pick a favorite, But I would have to say I love my Salmon Faverolles. They are so pretty with their puffy cheeks and they waddle when they run. I also love my little bantam brahma, she runs up to me when I come into the yard to say hello. I also love my silkies. I have one that just likes to be pet and she lays an egg a day. I just hatched out some necked necks (turken), but I'm going to have to get used to the bare neck. Can't wait to see them grow.

I'm not real big on ISA Browns. They are great egg producers, but are designed for commercial production and burn out after two years. And like most things that are bred for short-term commercial production, they have had a lot of the robustness of heritage breeds bred out of them. But that's my opinion and may not always be the case. In fact the worst chickens I ever had were Delawares (a heritage breed), they never thrived. Yet the other breeds of the same order did great. So I'm pretty sure it was just the Delawares or that particular batch from that hatchery that year. But because of that experience, I doubt I'll ever get Delawares again. I like blue Andalusians, but when I ordered a batch half of them were DOA. I got my money back and the remaining ones did great, but still. I doubt if I'll order blue Andalusians again either. But when I'm ready for new chicks, I would like to try sapphire gems. They look like Andalusians (no surprise since they are a hybrid), but the beauty of them is is that you'll get all blue ones and not a mixture of splashed and black ones, which I don't think are as pretty as the blue ones.
If I thought I could sell my 3 Delawares I would! Their eggs are only small-medium, and they are extremely noisy! Mine make this loud squawk-holler-scream especially when they see me (they want treats). All my other chickens make such sweet little cooing sounds. My last complaint is that they're nippy. They snap at the other girls and are bossy at night on the roosting poles too, biting and pushing the more timid girls off the poles.
They're very pretty, I'll give them that. But that's about it.

If I thought I could sell my 3 Delawares I would! Their eggs are only small-medium, and they are extremely noisy! Mine make this loud squawk-holler-scream especially when they see me (they want treats). All my other chickens make such sweet little cooing sounds. My last complaint is that they're nippy. They snap at the other girls and are bossy at night on the roosting poles too, biting and pushing the more timid girls off the poles.
They're very pretty, I'll give them that. But that's about it.
I had a trio of Silver Laced Wyandottes that were just like that! I called them The Mean Girl Squad :lol:

I ended up rehoming them because of how dominant they were. My flock was calmer after that. I’ve noticed that some hens are dominant without throwing their weight around too much. And others are like mafia bosses lol. :smack
I decided after those three that I wouldn’t keep birds like that. Two years ago I got 13 chicks of different breeds. Three of them were Speckled Sussex and they turned into a Mean Girl Squad too.
They also weren’t very good layers. I sold them recently. My flock is better off. I’m told they’re doing great in their new home/flock.

It depends on what you want from chickens. We want eggs and/or meat from ours and to let them free range in our backyard. We also have neighbors not too close but not that far away either. I decided to get several brahmas hopefully they will fit the bill for us because they're supposed to be a good meat bird, decent producer of eggs, and calm and quiet. And I like their looks! Also have a couple leghorns and a wyandotte just because I like a mixed flock and maybe they'll fill in the gaps.

I just recommend you do your research. Pick out a few breeds, look up more info about them, study their pros and cons. If you're still undecided then start with a small mixed flock. Or find a local breeder and go take a look at their chickens. :D

Back
Top Bottom