In Memoriam - Open To All

So sorry for all the losses . Here’s my Queen Bee, she was my flock leader and the first hen to ever lay an egg for me.

Attachments

• 8022D937-60C1-42F0-A0E2-2967E4419F6C.jpeg
    8022D937-60C1-42F0-A0E2-2967E4419F6C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
This is a great thread idea, it's very obvious everyone cared very deeply for their feathered friends.

:hugsTo all of you!

Fugly is who I miss the most. He was our third rooster but was so awesome. I miss his little growl when the pigeons fly over. He was broody raised, never human aggressive and gentle with the girls. Other than making me laugh at his silly self, my fondest memories of him are watching him being groomed by his favorite hen Nyx and seeing him readily accept chicks and start showing them how to forage even though they weren't raised in his coop. RIP Fugs
20190128_161931-1_Signature-1_Signature.jpg
20190418_182911_Burst01-1_Signature.jpg
20190512_180515-1-1_Signature.jpg

IMG_20200725_130646.jpg
In memory of Noelle. A self blue Hedemora pullet, hatched this spring. She was a sweet and small bird. She was malpositioned in her egg so I assisted her. She was weak and had a profusely bleeding navel, but she pulled through and became a favorite. Today she escaped our chicken enclosure (for the second time this morning) and a bobcat got her:hit You were loved and will be missed, thanks for being such a great part of my flock.

Awww, y'all, I was just going to start a thread for the same reason this one was started. Thank you for creating a space where we can honor our beloved chickens. I feel like a lot of people wouldn't get it, but I know you guys do.

We said good-bye to our copper penny henny, Porthos, yesterday morning. She developed ascites 10 days ago and we'd had her on an antibiotic - Amikacin - through our vet. We'd also been draining the ascites fluid at home after our vet had showed us how, and after a lot of other research on-line about ascites. Her cytology didn't show anything significant other than e-coli which could have accounted for the ascites and which the antibiotic should have taken care of. No cancer cells, no EYP, no liver failure. She was hanging in there all week with twice a day shots, calm as a spring morning, and the draining every few days. She was alert and scratching around all week, though separated from the rest of the flock. On Wednesday, she stumbled when she tried to leave the nesting box, and later tucked herself under the ramp going up to it. I coaxed her to eat with two earwigs which she loved, and brought her inside to our bathtub with towels laid down in it and a box with padding in it like a nesting box. She tucked herself in there and didn't leave. She ate from my hand some mashed up blueberries and scrambled egg. I syringed water and electrolytes into her throughout the day, but she kept going downhill. Her muscles were lax, she wasn't leaving the box to eat or drink, she was weak and would eat a few bites then, exhausted, close her eyes. In the wee hours, we had a heat lamp on her to keep things between 75 and 80 degrees F, and she was breathing fast. I had the sense that her organs were failing. I'd left a voicemail for our vet that morning, but they were closed until the next day, and our sweet girl died in the night.

She was our second in command and an unapologetically happy, scratching, cuddly, egg-laying, bug hunting, food loving chicken. She lived all her moments to chickenny fullness and reminded us to love more, to cherish the moments, to sit down and cuddle and to eat dessert first... or whatever was on offer! She's the first of our chickens to go and young at that - only a year and 8 months. Her body is at UC Davis' San Bernadino lab for necropsy so we can find out more about what happened. Though cytology didn't show cancer cells, that doesn't rule it out, and it's what I expect. She was a Rhode Island Red and our vet mentioned that so many breeds have been bred for egg-laying that reproductive cancers are likely. I had no idea.

If you believe in reincarnation, I imagine her soul had a rough go of it in her last life and she wanted an experience that taught her how wonderful and loving life could be. She got that. She was cherished from the time we got her at 2 weeks old until she passed on yesterday, and she adventured in the brooder in our house, in the numerous evolutions of our coop and run set up, and in the backyard, the front yard, and the garden. She loved earwigs and was my chief roly poly devourer. She was the best lap chicken of the flock. It seems very strange to be counting only 9 chickens now, and we miss her eager run across the yard when we open the backdoor. That exuberance! That optimism that there will be a snack. That trust that there will be a scratch and cuddle which there always was. We feel honored she was part of our first flock and are so happy we got to have her, and she us.

Good bye, sweet Porthos, one of our musketeers, and the first to go on her next great adventure.

@jewelg - I created this thread because I truly believed there were more of us out there wanting a place to remember our beloved animal friends. Chickens and other poultry included. I am sincerely sorry for your loss, and truly appreciate the depth of not only your sweet baby’s character but also the trial of battling for her health. Thank you for doing so much to care for her. I do hope you’ll share some photos and appreciate you visiting, and again I am so sorry for your loss.

@jewelg - I created this thread because I truly believed there were more of us out there wanting a place to remember our beloved animal friends. Chickens and other poultry included. I am sincerely sorry for your loss, and truly appreciate the depth of not only your sweet baby’s character but also the trial of battling for her health. Thank you for doing so much to care for her. I do hope you’ll share some photos and appreciate you visiting, and again I am so sorry for your loss.
Thanks so much, @HomesteaderWife - this was exactly the place I needed. Thank you for creating this space. xxxx

Back
Top Bottom