In need of assistance.

Fe1od1or

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Hello. After my small coop was destroyed by predators half a year ago, it's been abandoned in the backyard. I want to start up again, but I definitely need a new run- the previous one wasn't too secure. Considering the unusual shape of the coop, the relatively small amount of space, and that foxes and raccoons are in the area, what kind of design should I use? I'm planning for three chickens, which will be let out sometimes. Cost is not too big of a concern. In the below pictures, there is a small stepping stone path in front of the coop, and a compost pit/ garden to the right.

Here is my suggestion dump that prefab coop. I'm not surprised predators breached it.

I see a shed in the one photo. If all you want is three hens to provide you eggs then turn about 20 square feet of the shed into a chicken coop, add a pop door a window, some vents for ventilation.

To prevent day predators the run needs to be constructed of a high quality heavy wire, with a roof (can be the wire) and dug into the ground about 18 inches or an 18 inch wire apron.

Here is my suggestion dump that prefab coop. I'm not surprised predators breached it.

I see a shed in the one photo. If all you want is three hens to provide you eggs then turn about 20 square feet of the shed into a chicken coop, add a pop door a window, some vents for ventilation.

To prevent day predators the run needs to be constructed of a high quality heavy wire, with a roof (can be the wire) and dug into the ground about 18 inches or an 18 inch wire apron.

x2

Or can you frame an extension off of the back of the shed there, and fully enclose it for an outdoor pen? You could then keep the coop that you have now, maybe lift it off the ground, and they could at least sleep inside your existing structure at night.

Thanks for you contribution. The coop was actually just fine, the predator(s) breached the run I had. Unfortunately, the shed is a lot smaller than it may seem, and is mostly taken up by our ride-on lawnmower and the rest is filled with tools. Relocating that will be too difficult, as there is nowhere else to put it. I haven't thought of extending the shed though, that may work well. The coop itself is off the ground (the living quarters, that is), and the frame is standing on cinder blocks. Maybe if I make an automated door for the existing coop it can be a second layer of defense..?

Build a secure run that you can walk in and put the coop inside. Any run that matches the roofline of or is integrated into the side of that coop is going to be painfully awkward to reach into to clean or retrieve a bird when necessary.

Back
Top Bottom