In need of Spring break ideas...(little to no cost)

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Hello all...

I am in need of spring break Ideas for the kids...

I am beyond broke so I need stuff at little to no cost (i like the no cost option best)

I have craft stuff coming out the wazoo...lol so thats on the plan for sure..
Limited baking stuff but enough to do a few things

I have plain white towels so I plan on having them use the fabric paint and paint their beach towels for the summer..so thats a whole day activity.

I plan on making pretzels and donuts (recipes from the recipe section) but that is only a 1/2 day project for each thing

I have sewing stuff (and a few quilts and curtains that need to be made)

what are some of the things you do with your kids for spring break to keep them busy?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

but that gets me into trouble with child protective services when they go back to school

what about starting your seeds for the garden. Can you start them indoors and let the kids plant and care for them while on break. Or even planting herbs and what not indoors.

So they/you have camera(s)??You can have them put together a story (in picture form) of there vaccation.

Baking is always fun....and filling

Cleaning out the chicken coop or other pens if needed...I know not so fun, but they might surprise themselves while flinging poo....

just a few ideas...will keep thinking...(our kids don't get spring break--the school has never had it)

How old are the kids?

Don't forget a trip to the library. Since it's their break, encourage them to read something fun and entertaining. Pick up a couple of joke books. Another option with joke books - my 11-year old daughter loves Mad Libs and can entertain us for hours that way. They're only a few bucks so almost free.

What sorts of free activities are there in your area? Do an Internet search to see if you can find anything like free days at the museum or free tours of manufacturing plants. Kids especially like the ones that have goodies for them like ice-cream or candy manufacturing plants.

I love the seed planting idea that Run-A-Muck Ranch came up with.

Play family games.

And don't forget, since they spend much of their school year working, they may just want to chill and relax.

my daughter is 6 and my son is 12..

I could plant the seeds in the bottom of egg cartons,
thumbsup.gif
I dont have a veggie garden but we can do flowers

all the museums around here charge an arm and a leg.. the public library has their own programs running during the break so to try and get in you are surrounded with kids that parents dumped off in the morning and are under supervised by the staff so if you go you have to make it after 5pm..

great ideas tho keep them coming

One thing I always found good for occupying was the making of a scrapbook. You can make the original book yourself and then use all sorts of ideas to fill it - art work, diary of the holiday in pics and writing, the dream holiday in the same, cutting out from comics and mags, all sorts of cutting and sticking. it can be as structured or free as you want.

The library is a good one too.

We used to also get a big section of paper - maybe strips of plain wallpaper, the backing kind, stuck together and get the kids to decide on a big picture to make together and then work as a team to produce it. Again there can be all sorts of media used in it. the theme can be anything they are both into - a place visited, an imaginary world, a story representation.

Good luck!

Take butcher paper tape or glue together a piece large enough for your child to lie down on, trace their outline. have them decorate with facial features,clothes,jewelry. use markers, paint ,glitter really skies the limit. I have home daycare and all ages enjoy this.

Staycations
Are there any zoos or gardens, parks around? Plan a nature hike and put together a packet for the kids to look for..like a scavenger hunt....

if the duct tape idea is gonna get social services called just let them sleep in.....for as long as they want....lol (although I think I would like the duct tape at times....My kids actually tried to duck tape each other to the wall one time....lol--at least they were smart enought to put on long slevee shirts and pants so the tape didnt' hurt when ripped off)...

My kids don't get 'spring break' so I guess I am just trying to think of things they do on weekends or even during summer vaccations...

scrapbooking is a good idea---specially if you already have stuff for it...

are they in anythign like 4-H...they could work on projects for that...

around the bigger towns here you can use the hotel pools without having to get a room...It's like $3 for open swimming and you can use it as long as the pool is opened(day or night)...

how long is there break????

There's always Easter Eggs that need to be collected and dyed if around Easter time....edited because I just realized it might be too early for that...oops..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom