In rooster language, what does this mean??

You're welcome.
smile.png

I actually got pecked by my mille fleur d'uccle roo this morning. Little snot. After an invigorating 5 minute chase around the run he foolishly ran into the coop where I could corner him. I was late for work so I only held him about 5 minutes, but he didn't struggle in my arms. I need to either get a bamboo pole or a chicken catcher. He's a zippy one!

My Buff orp leaves me alone, but he pecked my visiting father twice last weekend. First peck earned him a good swift kick from my dad (was actually more of a foot scoop that tossed him about 3' up in the air). Peck two saw me chasing HIM around the run with him bawking nervously. Couldn't catch him either. He behaved after that. Thankfully my dad was wearing jeans and wasn't hurt.

The mille fleur is my fault. He was a lap chicken as a baby and I let him be through ignorance. And it was really sweet. We are working on remedying the situation now that he's in his adolescence.

Thanks for all the great tips!

i dont know if my roo would bother a child thats alone,,,he's learned to stay WAY back from the kids, even though he walks up to us adults,, if a child is with us,, he backs up.
this is him getting as far away from her as he can, and its just mom behind my daughter,,, and if moms alone, he "messes" with her,, but NOT when a kid is there.

101508_1237.jpg

This is a great thread, and has some valuable insights. It would be good for those with roos around the 6-7 month old mark that these fellas are going through chicken puberty, and if you've been around teenagers at that time (or are young enough to remember your own), you'll stop and think about those raging hormones and know that this too shall pass. Just keep up with the boot camp and hopefully when all is said and done you may not have a rooster lap buddy, but you should have a roo who takes his job seriously and protects his flock.
smile.png

Kudos to the1much on your blind roo -- you've given him dignity and purpose in life when others would have had him gone by now. Good for you!

I have more roosters then I can count, luckily they all seem to get along and behave themselves. I have one pen just for roos and their is everything from a little frizzel to a giant cochin in there. They all get along except for the occasional squabble. It's funny but the little frizzel is the boss. My roos that run the yard don't mess with anyone and follow us around watching what we are doing, seeing if we have food etc. I raised most of them from chicks. I only have one roo, my favorite roo, that I've raised that ever tried to flogg me. I was wearing colorful sandals and he got this weird look on his face, kept looking up at me then down at my shoes. Then he flipped up his feathers and pounced. After he went on a flight of his own he learned his lesson, but still stares if I wear those shoes. LOL I have a white phoenix roo that was given to me because of being too aggressive. He would tear up people but was afraid of other roos, he even jumped off the ground after my husbands face. Well I snatched him up and carried him around while I fed up and every time he tried it I did it again. Now he is a reformed roo. I think he was kept in a small cage for a long time and now that he can roam the yard he is less frustrated. Once in awhile I have to remind him but only when I 'm messing with his girls.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom