In the dead of winter, a couple of the girls are still laying.

HenHouse Henry

Songster
Dec 2, 2020
Everett Washington
My first winter with this flock. I have 2 blue copper Marans one stopped laying in October, she went through a molt, the other stopped during a rare cold period, it got down to 9 degrees and stayed in the teens for a couple of weeks. she layed a couple after New Years, but that about it. My California Gray just stopped laying. The Australorp and Buff Orpington are both still laying eggs pretty regularly. I do not add any extra lighting. They do not like snow, the pen has two rooms, they have to go through an unroofed area, there was a two foot patch of snow and they would not walk on it. I threw some shavings on it and they figured it out.

9 laying hens and in the last week I've gotten a minimum of 6 eggs a day and a maximum of 9. The least amount of eggs I've gotten since they started laying is one day there were only 4. My girls don't seem to understand winter is for resting......

My first winter with this flock. I have 2 blue copper Marans one stopped laying in October, she went through a molt, the other stopped during a rare cold period, it got down to 9 degrees and stayed in the teens for a couple of weeks. she layed a couple after New Years, but that about it. My California Gray just stopped laying. The Australorp and Buff Orpington are both still laying eggs pretty regularly. I do not add any extra lighting. They do not like snow, the pen has two rooms, they have to go through an unroofed area, there was a two foot patch of snow and they would not walk on it. I threw some shavings on it and they figured it out.
Update: all the girls are laying now.Fast winter

Back
Top Bottom