Incubateing snowflake quails

quails2018

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2018
hi ive got 12 fertile quails eggs in a incuabator for sixteen days, today is the 17th day and they still havent hatched.I have candled them and they have been rocking... can someone please help me they havent hatched!

Last edited:
hi ive got 12 fertile quails eggs in a incuabator for sixteen days, today is the 17th day and they still havent hatched.I have candled them and they have been rocking... can someone please help me they havent hatched!

If they are rocking, just wait as live quail are inside. Sometimes they are a day or two late, so wait!

hi ive got 12 fertile quails eggs in a incuabator for sixteen days, today is the 17th day and they still havent hatched.I have candled them and they have been rocking... can someone please help me!
If they are rocking, just wait as live quail are inside. Sometimes they are a day or two late, so wait!
they have stopped rocking now.
what do i do

they have stopped rocking now.
what do i do

Any pips? Don't open the incubator to check though - you want the humidity to stay up so that any pipped chicks do not have their membrane dry out. Assume you have a clear top and/or sides of your incubator.

Here are ours pipping with one hatched in case you don't know what it should look like. I took this pic through the plexiglass lid of my homemade incubator. Out of all these eggs, I only see a few pips, so don't think all are pipped! I would just wait and check on them every hour or two to see any progress. Making sure to leave lid on and resist the urge to open it up unless absolutely necessary.
Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 9.17.11 AM.png

Also, while you wait, there is a forum section on BYC on Quail. You can peruse this section at your leisure. You can check out the "Articles" on BYC - maybe some on quail. And there are state forums on here as well (under social? - just search for your state, will likely come up).

Any pips? Don't open the incubator to check though - you want the humidity to stay up so that any pipped chicks do not have their membrane dry out. Assume you have a clear top and/or sides of your incubator.

Here are ours pipping with one hatched in case you don't know what it should look like. I took this pic through the plexiglass lid of my homemade incubator. Out of all these eggs, I only see a few pips, so don't think all are pipped! I would just wait and check on them every hour or two to see any progress. Making sure to leave lid on and resist the urge to open it up unless absolutely necessary.
View attachment 1310108

Also, while you wait, there is a forum section on BYC on Quail. You can peruse this section at your leisure. You can check out the "Articles" on BYC - maybe some on quail. And there are state forums on here as well (under social? - just search for your state, will likely come up).
no pips

Wait! If they were rocking, they are alive. Do you hear any chirps? We could hear a few now and again on the day they were hatching, but we were expecting them to hatch 1 day later, so we were not paying them much attention yet and then we heard a "chirp" - so checked on them and one was already trying to get out of an egg. My temps were a bit on the high side throughout incubation, so maybe thats why they were a bit early. If your temps ran correctly or slightly low, then they may take slightly longer. Generally, you should give them a few days past expected hatch before you give up on them.

Did you candle them at any point in the incubation process?

Candling: Dark eggs + very bright LED flashlight - and you can at least tell that there is or is not something there. If they are rocking, then there is a quail inside.
Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 8.50.30 AM.png

That egg was definitely fertilized! I'm sure it is just a matter of time for your eggs to hatch. How many? Are you using a purchased incubator or homemade?

Back
Top Bottom