Incubating and hatching eggs chat thread!!

Pics

KaylorFarms

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 3, 2017
Oklahoma
Hello! Has anyone had any experience hatching eggs? Or incubating? Has anyone gotten their eggs off ebay? If so, how many hatched?

Anyone want to join?

My mum has had a bad experience with ordering eggs off Ebay.
She ordered 12 Buff Sussex eggs and when they came all was fine; no cracks, eggs were clean etc.
We put them in the incubator and on candling day, two were infertile and two we weren't sure about. We took out the infertile ones but left the other two in there.
Then, on lockdown day I candled them again and not just the two that we thought were bad but FIVE eggs were goners.
Out of the 5 remaining 3 hatched. Not impressed. :/

However I'm planning to get some SLW hatching eggs from Ebay. Hopefully it'll be second-time-lucky.

Also, out of interest, where do you come from Leah?

-Jet

My mum has had a bad experience with ordering eggs off Ebay.
She ordered 12 Buff Sussex eggs and when they came all was fine; no cracks, eggs were clean etc.
We put them in the incubator and on candling day, two were infertile and two we weren't sure about. We took out the infertile ones but left the other two in there.
Then, on lockdown day I candled them again and not just the two that we thought were bad but FIVE eggs were goners.
Out of the 5 remaining 3 hatched. Not impressed. :/

However I'm planning to get some SLW hatching eggs from Ebay. Hopefully it'll be second-time-lucky.

Also, out of interest, where do you come from Leah?

-Jet

Thanks! I'm in texas

I bought 10 Lavender Guinea fowl eggs off eBay a few years ago. I ended-up with ONE Guinea.
1f615.png
And I have a very reliable incubator that I love.
I've spent the past two years trying to find a companion for him. Very frustrating.
Carlene

Wow! I don't think i will get my eggs off ebay

It's not necessarily ebay though. Shipped eggs period have a low expectancy. I have a friend who shipped me silkie eggs. She is an awesome packer/shipper. Had a great hatch. Another friend shipped her eggs, dismal hatch. She shipped the other girl eggs same thing. They both had dismal hatches. The route and hubs between them were not very nice to eggs. She's shipped to many people who have had good hatches. Extreme Elevation differences will also play a role. Of course how they are packed will be a big factor. But even the best packed eggs handled roughly by the PO system will suffer. You always take a risk with shipped eggs.

I'm doing my first shipped hatch under a broody. She's sitting on 8 and I'll put the other 10 in an incubator for my first incubator hatch. I bought the eggs from a seller on eBay. I read her reviews, spoke to her, and decided that I trusted her.Then I made the purchase. We'll see in 19 days!

I'm doing my first shipped hatch under a broody. She's sitting on 8 and I'll put the other 10 in an incubator for my first incubator hatch. I bought the eggs from a seller on eBay. I read her reviews, spoke to her, and decided that I trusted her.Then I made the purchase. We'll see in 19 days!

What breed?

Back
Top Bottom