Incubating Button Quail Eggs

These guys sure do grow quick! They've almost doubled in size at almost a week old.

At what age is it safe to move from the non-slip liner to pine shavings as bedding for them?

At a week old they should be fine on the pine. It's incredible isn't it, how fast they grow?!

It really is!

Thanks so much for all the help, I think I'll switch them to pine tonight because the shelf liner is getting pretty gross.

These guys sure do grow quick! They've almost doubled in size at almost a week old.

At what age is it safe to move from the non-slip liner to pine shavings as bedding for them?
Yep, another 5 weeks and they'll be grown teenagers.:eek:
They should do fine on the pine shavings. I use aspen shavings. Their a little finer grade than pine shavings. Have an earthy smell to them. They seem to work better for deep litter type setups.

Yep, another 5 weeks and they'll be grown teenagers.:eek:
They should do fine on the pine shavings. I use aspen shavings. Their a little finer grade than pine shavings. Have an earthy smell to them. They seem to work better for deep litter type setups.

Thanks!

Man, they're really eating now. I was awoken today by them crying because they totally emptied the little food dish overnight. Time for a bigger dish, apparently!

Don't they start laying at like 6 weeks?
Where will they live......and waht about these snakes??
Would love to see both.

Don't they start laying at like 6 weeks?
Where will they live......and waht about these snakes??
Would love to see both.

I read it was more like 8 to 10 weeks for buttons :) I'm working on building little 'apartments' for each pair I keep, since I read they do best in pairs. They'll live in my workshop in their apartments.

I don't have the snake yet (wanted a steady supply of eggs first) but this is what I'm going to get:

w0D05-5SWFOqdd71P58ZPuq-0HR4pKTzYpVTV0WB-BLVcVaR_AnKPuF77T6y2XkFnVygJSsLCnJe47oGbc_91vrVBr5DQfy7TKJJg-3dBAnDSSHOp0kx4bSIuZUpVeQkLFBO1s2ZwfWXBzb3b-EiwjeEWlStwoluFDnJFN0juonUMgicT1heyZrpONcJp5grXqAuXoGuKcQS4OEZBif2TdY531ZPD6w5sQS5vbbRG9r1XRwEBBmQm0fsrwxFsQB7Wzv1DXkETSwUc6qXr_3prkvhuAs5CiF1nu1cDXvWcVwP2-1vQbpD7MfDi4INixewTc3DC0QcmrI4rfXRT1BY13Lcvoxec1J6RXdD81bHWhyLIHS78B7TY6XM4PEAZixux0kZRYov1wSFMBlFWKVAL4T0ASVfrTuj2gaFVQsqjrMsRGd8UhbKLYBRlukfOZ9Hl-tcl3SKr_GW8Rh1NKACmjpQezBB9LDgneio7XPdRDUFB5AHZ9WE1oKwzE_eUq_s43ZqL5ZhCVOdpXWwdiI_l0CfW7Ct3PvvkeHRzwVhIC2KVJFK5XUz62AYL3u9GKWhLopyL5YX7e9Lh7kZcrJHiPaIVyDCw7MQrSUb5OE=w768-h594-no

It is Dasypeltis scabra, the West African Egg Eating Snake.

More pictures please! :pop

I'll get some soon! Hopefully later tonight.

Fascinating...but even pics make me shudder,
tho I dated guy with a big python(?) when I was a teen.
Do you have other snakes?

Fascinating...but even pics make me shudder,
tho I dated guy with a big python(?) when I was a teen.
Do you have other snakes?

No other snakes, but I've always loved reptiles. I have a bearded dragon and a leopard gecko, and until recently a veiled chameleon. I love these snakes since they are so unusual, are supposedly very docile, only require eggs to eat, and don't really get too big.

It was between one of these and a corn snake, and I thought the egg eaters were more interesting :) They are so specialized to their egg only diet that they don't even have teeth.

Back
Top Bottom