Incubating in my bra: An experiment.

Pics

MargaretYakoda

Songster
7 Years
Jan 28, 2013
Irondale, Wa
Just to get these questions out of the way: Yes. I'm weird. And well-endowed.

OK so, on a whim I put two eggs in my bra early in the morning on December 16, 2013. I kept them there for 18 hours before taking one out to check if it was fertilized. See.. we're new-ish to this chicken keeping thing, and I wanted to know if our Roo, Bob, was fully loaded or if he was shooting blanks. When I cracked the egg Monday night there was an obvious bulls-eye. Then I was struck with the idea that the second egg was also probably fertile, and if I put it on the skep it would stop developing. Oddly, this thought does not normally occur to me when I gather the eggs, but this one had already been tucked next to my chest for hours and it seemed different somehow.

I remembered something about pioneer women hatching eggs in their corsets when times were harsh, so I thought maybe it could work. At the very least it will give me experience candling. And, of course, I checked BYC to see if I was the only oddball to try this, and I have found one thread, which mentions Chinese women hatching rare breeds in their cleavage. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1825/egg-in-bra-moving-but-its-day-24/10

One question on that thread concerned how the physics of holding an egg in a bra works when you're sleeping or just going about your normal day. Well, I am wearing an Enell sports bra. That bra has a LOT of support without squishing my boobs totally flat. I don't normally sleep in it, but have done so for the past two nights with no obvious ill effect on the egg. I place the egg either under or between my boobs and they shift around it and act like an extra protective layer. I am able to sleep quite well and barely even notice the egg. I do shift in my sleep, and I imagine that takes care of turning it while I'm sleeping. If I turn, so does the egg, right? During the day the egg occasionally feels a little itchy, and I use that as a hint it's time to shift it. I try to remember to shift it at least once an hour. At night I am sleeping on top of an electric blanket set to medium, and during the day I wear a sweater, with a hoodie sweat shirt over that to minimize drafts.

At this point the egg has been in my bra for 58 hours. I intend to update here often. I am even considering keeping at this experiment until it succeeds. I mentioned I was weird, right?

Well, everyone needs a project.
roll.png
Good luck.

Oh keep us updated, I hope you can keep it up the whole time! I have only seen people start them like that then they give up, don't give up! Keep us updated!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom