Incubating in my bra: An experiment.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MargaretYakoda, Dec 18, 2013.

1. MargaretYakoda

MargaretYakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    Just to get these questions out of the way: Yes. I'm weird. And well-endowed.

OK so, on a whim I put two eggs in my bra early in the morning on December 16, 2013. I kept them there for 18 hours before taking one out to check if it was fertilized. See.. we're new-ish to this chicken keeping thing, and I wanted to know if our Roo, Bob, was fully loaded or if he was shooting blanks. When I cracked the egg Monday night there was an obvious bulls-eye. Then I was struck with the idea that the second egg was also probably fertile, and if I put it on the skep it would stop developing. Oddly, this thought does not normally occur to me when I gather the eggs, but this one had already been tucked next to my chest for hours and it seemed different somehow.

I remembered something about pioneer women hatching eggs in their corsets when times were harsh, so I thought maybe it could work. At the very least it will give me experience candling. And, of course, I checked BYC to see if I was the only oddball to try this, and I have found one thread, which mentions Chinese women hatching rare breeds in their cleavage. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1825/egg-in-bra-moving-but-its-day-24/10

One question on that thread concerned how the physics of holding an egg in a bra works when you're sleeping or just going about your normal day. Well, I am wearing an Enell sports bra. That bra has a LOT of support without squishing my boobs totally flat. I don't normally sleep in it, but have done so for the past two nights with no obvious ill effect on the egg. I place the egg either under or between my boobs and they shift around it and act like an extra protective layer. I am able to sleep quite well and barely even notice the egg. I do shift in my sleep, and I imagine that takes care of turning it while I'm sleeping. If I turn, so does the egg, right? During the day the egg occasionally feels a little itchy, and I use that as a hint it's time to shift it. I try to remember to shift it at least once an hour. At night I am sleeping on top of an electric blanket set to medium, and during the day I wear a sweater, with a hoodie sweat shirt over that to minimize drafts.

At this point the egg has been in my bra for 58 hours. I intend to update here often. I am even considering keeping at this experiment until it succeeds. I mentioned I was weird, right?

5 people like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, everyone needs a project. [​IMG] Good luck.

3. bluejeans

bluejeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    beats a little under a hundred pound woman sitting on the chickens eggs .. [​IMG]

4. cosmic chicken

cosmic chicken Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Varina, Va
    I had been thinking of doing the same thing, lol! Unfortunately, i am not well endowed, but maybe a padded bra? Please keep posting!

5. bluejeans

bluejeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    oh yes you are .. Any fella worth his salt knows it .

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]Alright I think this beats my youngest boy breastfeeding till
    the age of five but as is life .......
    I think I'll watch this one close [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

7. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Looking forward to hearing how this turns out [​IMG]

8. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    cant wait, hope it hatches!

9. GeorgRodway

GeorgRodway Chillin' With My Peeps

This is awesome xxx

10. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Oh keep us updated, I hope you can keep it up the whole time! I have only seen people start them like that then they give up, don't give up! Keep us updated!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by