Incubating quail eggs

Ok what humidity level should I have them it is at 53% and won’t go down this is my first time sorry for all the questions I usually have a hen set on the eggs but was trying to do it without the hen

Ok thank you for the helpful information I am new to all the incubating and brooding because I usually have a hen do it for me but this past year all my birds just died mysteriously and don’t know why they were fine when I put them in for the night but the next morning they were all on the ground stuff I was devistated because they were all young and all laying nicely so I haven’t gotten anymore because I am afraid to have the new ones die

I sent one to the state lab and it was the bird flu so I am not having birds at that location the ones I have in the bator will be at my farm which is about 30 miles away from the last place I had the birds. Is there any way I could make it safe to have birds at the place where the old ones died or should I just stay away from there

I sent one to the state lab and it was the bird flu so I am not having birds at that location the ones I have in the bator will be at my farm which is about 30 miles away from the last place I had the birds. Is there any way I could make it safe to have birds at the place where the old ones died or should I just stay away from there
Well, any bacteria or virus needs certain things to survive. If that area has been thoroughly cleaned, dry and exposed to sun for enough time, it's going to be clean unless there are still birds there to carry it.

If it's damp and filled with nutrients for the bacteria, then I would stay away. Basic cleanliness is the usual prevention for illness.

The place where they died was near a swamp so the building is always damp plus I had and still have Australian brown rats there and have not been able to take care of them so my birds are not going back there

So Wednesday was day 18 and I candled all my eggs and my one quail egg has 2 babies in it what should I do.
I have heard of very rare instances where one or even both have hatched, but I have heard of far more that don't. Most likely, one will die and that will cause enough problems that the other does too.

So today is hatch day the eggs are all rolling around the humidities 74% and there is condensation on the top of the incubator how do I get the condensation to get off the top of the incubator because I know it can mess the incubator up
74% humidity is way too high for coturnix eggs. It's a bit high for buttons, even. Try opening the incubator for a second or two at a time to lower humidity quickly, then reduce the surface area of whatever you're using to add humidity.

Tbh it probably won’t make it, and if it was mine I wouldn’t open the incubator and jeopardize the rest for it.

If you’re dead set on trying to save it, I would quickly and carefully remove it before more hatch, because you don’t want them popping the yolk remaining. Does it look like it’s opening and closing it’s mouth almost like gasping? I believe they do this to absorb the yolk, but there’s a similar movement they do when they’re so far gone, all but basic life support has stopped, it’s hard to spot the difference.

Once removed from the bator you’ll want to try to get it to consume some nutrients. I’ll usually mix some sugar water with some nutridrench, and I’ll sprinkle some feed Ive ground to powder, just a sprinkle so it’s like broth, don’t change the thickness of the water. I usually use a small juice box straw to offer tiny drops every 45 mins to an hour until it starts getting stronger and trying to get around. Then I swap to about every 2 hours and every 4 hours at night.

it will probably have other issues from being frozen in this pose, youre looking at probable curled toes and possible wry neck. If you didn’t have many hatch, you can definitely try to save it, but if you have a lot, it might be overwhelming to deal with this because it will not be a fast fix, it will be at least several days of care if it even survives. Birds cast a wide net, they lay a ton of eggs, and most don’t make it to raise their own young in nature. Sometimes there’s nothing you can do.

Back
Top Bottom