incubating quail question

chickiepoo2

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Charleston, SC
Well I did it....I bought 300 texas a & m eggs to see how their meat taste in 8 weeks
smile.png

I hope this question makes sense so here goes: When you count the incubation days do you count they day they started as "1" or the next full day as the first day? I've always wondered if that mattered and if it made a difference. These quail hatch in 16-17 days right? And I stop turning on day 14 right? And the temp needs to be just under 100 right? And humidity as high as I can get right? I think that's it. It hasn't been that long since I incubated and I've allready forgot my numbers. Well there was one time I completely miscounted days so the eggs were still in the turners and I started hearing peeps...oops

Day 1 is the day after you put them in if you put them in in the afternoon. If you put them in in the morning, then that day is day 1. At least that's how most people do it. Stop turning after day 13...they hatch days 16-18.

Temp: Around 100 if you have a circulated air bator, or around 101 if it's a still air bator.

Humidity: Around 45% until day 13, then up to about 70%.

Okay so I started them around 10pm last night and that makes today day 1? I've always wondered this too. I can I control the humidity? I have still air and one circulating standard small incubators.

My experience with A&M quail is that they may hatch at day 16 but can go as long as 21-22 days. So don't give up too soon if you don't see many hatch out 'on time'. Of course, that is based on my incubator settings and type of incubator that I have. Yours may vary. I stop turning on the 14th to 15th day. I would start counting the hatch from day one as long as day one is 24 hours! Just my two cents worth ..........

Technically day 1 started at 10 pm last night and goes until 10 pm tonight, but for simplicity's sake you can just call today day 1.

Last edited:
It depends on what type of bator you have. Increasing surface area of the water (with a sponge, etc) raises humidity. Also removing/adding the plugs in the top if it's a styrofoam one.

Back
Top Bottom