INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from Hillsborough NC:

Hi Sally, good morning. I went to the web site and there was over 2000 posts but no info that I could use. Can you tell me what the humidity should be? The airsack is the size of a 7 day old chick. Should it be that way? I was running it at 44 but someone where I read it should be longer so the keats could soak up some of the liquid inside, is this true? Now running it at 32 but the evening it goes up to 34. Whats best. I sure would like to have them hatch along with the possibility of a double yoke, wow what a thought. Please help me Sally, you are so knowlegeable and I am so inexperienced.

I bought a 10 X 12 shed with large windows, one on each side and one in the back with double doors, next will be a hoop run. If none hatch (guineas and bearded white silkies) I will purchase day old keats and some egg laying chickens.

Thanks so much for your info. You're so great.

thumbsup.gif

Hi Sally, good morning.  I went to the web site and there was over 2000 posts but no info that I could use.  Can you tell me what the humidity should be?  The airsack is the size of a 7 day old chick. Should it be that way?  I was running it at 44 but someone where I read it should be longer so the keats could soak up some of the liquid inside, is this true?  Now running it at 32 but the evening it goes up to 34.  Whats best.  I sure would like to have them hatch along with the possibility of a double yoke, wow what a thought.  Please help me Sally, you are so knowlegeable and I am so inexperienced.

I bought a 10 X 12 shed with large windows, one on each side and one in the back with double doors, next will be a hoop run.  If none hatch (guineas and bearded white silkies) I will purchase day old keats and some egg laying chickens.

Thanks so much for your info.  You're so great.

:thumbsup
Did you look at the notes section on the first page of this thread? Good luck.

Hi Sally, good morning. I went to the web site and there was over 2000 posts but no info that I could use. Can you tell me what the humidity should be? The airsack is the size of a 7 day old chick. Should it be that way? I was running it at 44 but someone where I read it should be longer so the keats could soak up some of the liquid inside, is this true? Now running it at 32 but the evening it goes up to 34. Whats best. I sure would like to have them hatch along with the possibility of a double yoke, wow what a thought. Please help me Sally, you are so knowlegeable and I am so inexperienced.

I bought a 10 X 12 shed with large windows, one on each side and one in the back with double doors, next will be a hoop run. If none hatch (guineas and bearded white silkies) I will purchase day old keats and some egg laying chickens.

thumbsup.gif
To be quite honest, I kept humidity low 35% and just kept watch of air cells, basically same thing as my LF chicken eggs. The eggs are quite hard, so humidity may have to go low to get loss depending on your area and what your room humidity is.
If you can take pics of air cells at least pencil marks and the day you took the pics it sure would help us help you! were they shipped? sorry I forget!

See if the following run down gives you any help, if you know about temps calibration or whatever move on the list
Fan or no Fan? You know temps should be different for Fan vs still air models?

INCUBATION TEMPERATURES

READ TEMPS SECTION HERE: post #9068 Hatching Eggs 101
Incubators with fans and without fans need to run at DIFFERENT TEMPS! post #9068
ADD a LEGO to your dial of cheap styro bator to make minor adjustments! GENIUS post #38133
What is the maximum and minimum range of temp I can go before killing the chicks? post #12473
ZONES OF COLD INJURY fro EMBRYONIC DEVELOPMENT post #36213
HAVE A PLAN IN CASE YOU LOOSE ELECTRIC ITS THE SEASON! see post #522
What to do when you find a HIGH TEMPS in Bator post #7061
10/13 day old embryos begin to produce excess heat in the incubator post #27240
You calibrated thermo hygros and know not to rely on the one that came with the bator?

AGAIN...You have more than one thermo hygro and they had been calibrated?

You know that you should not use the vent holes to adjust humidity?

THERMOMETERS, HYGROMETERS & CALIBRATION

Celsius to Fahrenheit (ºC to ºF) conversion calculator click HERE
Thermo/hygro suggestions post #13998
Brinsea Incubator Thermometers click HERE
Strombergs Thermometers click HERE Hygrometers click HERE Digital Thermo/Hygros click Here
Hova-Bator GQF Incubator Thermometer / Hygrometer (Wet Bulb) 3018 post #32892
HEAT SINKS/ Stones/Pebbles ADD THEM TO STYRO! post #43903
Calibration is a MUST: HOW TO CALIBRATE post #9068
VENTILATION (OXYGEN)

Hatching at High Altitudes post #37908
O2 deprivation to day 10 of incubation followed by regular oxygen concentrations leads to stronger chicks post #33815
NEVER USE VENT holes as a means to Control HUMIDITY especially during HATCH DAYS!

You realize humidity is NOT a set number just a tool to get the correct weight loss in the egg?

You understand the majority of people for standard hatching eggs run the first 7 days 25-30% humidity (possibly 35%for shipped eggs) and adjusted from there for weight loss?

You understand that you can in fact candle every two days after day 7 to just keep a closer eye on weight loss so you dont need to make major changes later on?

Try to add water above in containers and not in the troughs until lockdown?

HUMIDITY Humidity is NOT a set number!

Its a tool to get the correct weight loss in the egg! post #7068 see Hatching Eggs 101

WHY do we need less humidity to get the best weight loss for colored hatching eggs during incubation? post #36320
KEEPING MOLD and BACTERIAL from growing in water WELLS during incubation post #1644
Humidity pumps DIY ETC post #79960
TIPS n TRICKS to raising humidity in incubators post #42512 Humidity pumps DIY ETC post #79960

AGAIN....You understand humidity is NOT a set number, most of us begin incubation 25-35% the first week and then adjust as needed per air cell growth/weight loss.

LOCKDOWN, DAY 18, CANDLES, PIPS, ZIPS

*IMPORTANT INFO= TIMELINES PIPS ZIPS!!! & MARKING AIR CELLS DAY 18, DRAW DOWN, INTERNAL PIP, EXTERNAL PIP, and ZIPPING post #35770

DAY 18 CANDLE IMAGES/VIDEOS: post #41176
FIVE VIDEOS show Draw Down and Internals post #44701
DAY 18 DIS CANDLES post #43401
Incubation CHICK FIRST AID KIT Supplies post #71640

thumbsup.gif
What day are you on, and what incubator are you using and is it a still air or does it have a fan. The humidity ranging from 32-34% is perfectly fine.

This is what I used for my first guinea hatches: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-guinea-fowl

From there: The incubator should be stable at 100oF (37.8oC) in forced air incubators and 102oF (38.9oC) in a still air incubator. I am a fan of the "dry" incubation method. The humidity using a calibrated hygrometer being in the 30-45% range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom