INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to graft one specie onto another, ie. a pear to, say, an apple, to get 2 fruits from 1 tree?

Yesterday was pruning day here too, @Pensmaster! I taught myself to graft when I was home bound with back to back babies... Three trees in our backyard are my "Frankenstein" trees as hubby calls them!

@kwhites634 as long as they are the "family", yes you can... Stone fruits (peach, plum, apricot), apples, citrus... They can go on one tree together. You can't do an orange, apple, peach though, for example. It's super fun. The tree closest to the super coop door is a 5 in 1 apple I made. The citrus in the middle of the raised beds is a 4 in 1 citrus- if you look close you can see the tangelo, Meyer lemon and an orange on there (grapefruit was eaten).

PS Whites- no fox problem here, jmainly raccoons and hawks with an occasional coyote. The run is open, but, the door to the coop will be closed and set on the slab. Being in surburbia, we don't get raccoons during the day...

Yesterday was pruning day here too, @Pensmaster ! I taught myself to graft when I was home bound with back to back babies... Three trees in our backyard are my "Frankenstein" trees as hubby calls them!

@kwhites634 as long as they are the "family", yes you can... Stone fruits (peach, plum, apricot), apples, citrus... They can go on one tree together. You can't do an orange, apple, peach though, for example. It's super fun. The tree closest to the super coop door is a 5 in 1 apple I made. The citrus in the middle of the raised beds is a 4 in 1 citrus- if you look close you can see the tangelo, Meyer lemon and an orange on there (grapefruit was eaten).

PS Whites- no fox problem here, jmainly raccoons and hawks with an occasional coyote. The run is open, but, the door to the coop will be closed and set on the slab. Being in surburbia, we don't get raccoons during the day...
Ain't there an artist who has a tree growing something like twenty different fruit varieties on the same tree? I recall reading about it (really fascinating, I love learning about garden techniques like grafting) and I can't recall the name or what all he grafted.

I'm afraid to even go look at my ducks....I'll finish this cup of coffee and go out and feed and water them....I have no idea how cold it actually got if it was still negative 22 at 10am.....but last night was the test for them....I have igloos made of straw bales for them to get in....if I lose my ducks too cold I'll just be done with them.....but everyone has assured me they will be fine.....I'm shocked my wife's car started this morning I thought for sure she was gonna be waking me up to take her to work.
Same with my truck. Hadn't been started since Tuesday, but fired right up.

We had pear, apple years ago; birds got'em b4 the fruit ever ripened. We should have netted them, but never did.

Yes the birds are a problem. I've had more damage from hornets that want the sugar. Makes picking fruit a little more interesting. They don't want you taking their prize

The trees I have are too large to net.

Actually me this morning.
That reminds me of the CVA muzzle loader commercial, where they find the body of a guy frozen and covered in ice, with a CVA in his hands. They pry the gun loose, and it still works
gig.gif

Yes the birds are a problem. I've had more damage from hornets that want the sugar. Makes picking fruit a little more interesting. They don't want you taking their prize

The trees I have are too large to net.
We keep ours like the commercial orchards in our area do, they're espalier pruned and kept pretty much the same height and shape their whole lives.

Sort of like this:

Only difference is that they're completely freestanding. I've seen trees that are twenty years old in the monastery orchard that are still the same size and shape as you'd see in the fields..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom