INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
clap.gif
fl.gif

ok bit less than 2 hrs from me on other side of Hrbg

good Luck!!

oh No!!!! but you didnt have fun?

thanks!!
Not particularly, no. I was well below my average the 1st game, which cost us the win; we lost by one pin...if I'd made my average, we'd have won it. Bugs the fire out of me when I can't hold up my end.

Trust me when I say I'm not afraid of anything. Been prepared to die more than once in my life, came close once and I refuse to die by someone else's hand. Not to mention it is a right, one that I put my life on the line to protect, more than once and pay dearly on a daily basis in pain day in and day out. So I will continue to do as I believe and run my company with employees having the opportunity to carry.

I've been told that I thoroughly enjoy life and work my balls off. They are absolutely correct. I work 12-15 hrs a day to be successful and when it is time to play, I play hard. I guess if you put yourself in my shoes on July 4th, 2003 in Tikrit, Iraq when I was a thread away from not having this life to live, you would understand.
I wholeheartedly agree with your philosophy, Fire, and I thank you. If more lived & felt as you do, this society wouldn't be in the shape it is.
bow.gif

oh you are a grumpy old man if you cant take doggie kisses!! bawahhahhahhahhaaaaa
Sorry, I just don't find it pleasant or even sanitary to have dog feces smeared across my lips.

The black cylinder thing has 16v stamped on it. There is a fuse under the blue cover but nothing stateing what voltage. The red wire has 600v stamped on it. It came out of a wine cooler that ran on a three prong plug.
600 is the voltage rating of the wire. There should also be a guage size which will relate to the current capacity. That's just wire specs and doesn't have anything to do with what voltages are in the circuit.

I have a flour mill cabinet counter thingy (enough names?) that is next to my stove. Duckling his my oven mitt under there, and it got pushed too far under. I used the broom to get it out, and heard my keys scraping along the floor. Got down, and looked with a flashlight. Still didn't see them, but I heard them!

Have you retrieved them yet or did you have new ones made?

I know, but honestly, I'm thankful to have any to show for it. I have no clue how long the temps were low but I know it took forever to heart the eggs back up. I have chicken eggs going on lockdown tonight. They were also in during the temp drop. I'm hoping they fare better. I guess time will tell.
I don't understand why any woman wouldn't want to carry protection with them. My mom and grandma freak out because I carry. I always have a little Jennings J-22 in my purse and sometimes I'll wear my canik 9mm with me.
Quote:
I think a lot but not all women should carry, if not they need another form of protection.. I don't carry, although we do have firearms in the house, because I have a lot of kids running around. The shotgun is locked up like gold so it would not be much use for self defense unless.. the intruder rang me and gave me a heads up... but one day, I will carry a right fitting piece that I am fully educated on.
Quote:
Well that makes total sense of there's a bunch of kids running around. We just have our two kids here. They are 9 and 10 years old and know how to handle a gun. My daughter is a bit more timid about it than my son and won't handle the bigger guns but will happily shot the .22. My son is almost a marksman airway with the. 22, can handle a .223 and the 9mm handgun. Gun safety is an important lesson in our house.
I think it's a good idea for a woman - with sufficient training - to carry. My wife has been considering it for a while.
Our city ranges from 150 to 200+ murders a year - common to rates across the country.
War zones notwithstanding, the US is much more dangerous than pretty much any place I've ever been or anyplace else on the planet.
I just don't feel the need for myself to carry one. Maybe I'm too cranky.
old.gif

I'm off to pick up my daughter from the airport after her month travelling all over Costa Rica staying mostly at hostels but also more sketchy places. She didn't even have a gun.

There is a new bill proposed in the MO legislature that specifies if a loaded deadly weapon is unsecured and readily available in the presence of a child younger than 17, the gun owner would face felony charges. Last year in MO at least 5 toddlers fired a gun killing or injuring themselves or others. 3 of those were here in St. L.
The bill sponsor says, “We know how easy it is for a child to become endangered so quickly,” - “Adults are responsible. They should be held responsible.”
The Republican chairman said, "the majority of gun owners handle their firearms responsibly...the law is unnecessary."
IMO, that's like saying, the majority of drivers obey traffic signals so we don't need regulations requiring people to stop at red lights.

@Sally Sunshine
So you like the thermoworks better than the brinsea spot check. Seems like that used to be the best one available. Guess I need to do some more research. I'm ready to find one and be done with it. No more combos no more this or that just one that I know is accurate and go with it.
If you're talking about the
Super-Fast® Pocket Thermometer (with calibration adjustment)

Model: RT301WA

, it and the Spot Check are both very accurate and fast. The downside of the Spot Check is that if the temperature is out of range it will only have a L or H on the display, signifying the temp is too high or too low. The problem is you don't know how far out of range it is.
The thermoworks pocket model reads from -40 to 302F and is most accurate from 14 - 212F so incubator temp is in it's sweet spot.
The spot check stays on till you turn it off. The RT301WA battery saving feature is auto off after 1 hour.

Thermoworks has more accurate thermometers that are pricier but they're more accurate than anything else you can find for a comparable price.

For the obsessive (sally), this bluetooth data logging probe is accurate to ±0.1% of the reading. That makes it accurate to 0.1F.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_bluetooth_probe.html#ProductDescription

It's funny, I'm getting eggs from San Diego - 160 miles south of me, post office says they went to Goleta - 70 miles north of me. They went right past..... They left Goleta at 2:30 this afternoon. I know it only takes an hour to 90 minutes to get from Goleta to my house (I've made the trip hundreds of times). Where could they be?
Making stops at other towns along the way. I think it is amazing what the PO does. For less than 50 cents you can send a letter anywhere in this vast nation and it usually makes it there in 2 days. For more money, you can send a package anywhere overnight.

Howdy all...
frow.gif
......looks like another cold one tonight....7 degrees right now.....but looks good this weekend....looking forward to the warning trend....
It hit 23 overnight. This has been one of the mildest winters I can recall. I think the low was 5. Lots of teens but that beats -20.
Probably 30 tonight and long range forecast doesn't look like it will freeze again this month.
I need to get the tomato plants started. We may have tomatoes by the middle of June or earlier.

(My house stays about 72 degrees lately) - garage is typically cooler of course - our low is supposed to be 41 tonight. It won't get that cold in our garage but it will still feel very cool. Sorry I'm probably over thinking this!
1f602.png
The coops got down to 27 overnight.
Digital thermostat drops temp inside to 62 at night and midday. 70 morning and evening.

That looks like an egg from a bird with a damaged shell gland from Infectious Bronchitis or other respiratory disease.
http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

My first set chicks 2 weeks old

There's no way I could get pictures like you guys do.
The second I try to open the incubator the chicks scatter and fly every which way if I don't have a secondary containment system.

I know 7 days is the general rule for stored eggs, but I'd like to hear of anyone's experience with setting eggs that have been stored for up to 2 weeks. I'm keeping them in a Styrofoam egg carton with a damp hand towel over the carton since the air is pretty dry in our house.
Hatchability does drop off dramatically after 10 days. Ideal storage would have been wrapped in plastic and turned regularly. Encasing in nitrogen is best. Storing up to 2 weeks, they're better stored large end down.

Last edited:
I need some help with my first hatch. It's close to the end of day 21, I have three pips, but two are at the wrong end and opposite side of where they should be, and one seems to be closer to the air cell, but on the wrong side. I candled at day 7,14, and 18. I drew the air cells on the eggshell, I set them down with the largest part of the air cell up, but so far they are pipping wrong. They are peeping and I can see their beaks. One had only chipped the shell and not the membrane, so I used small, sterilized scissors to cut a small opening in the membrane so the chick could breathe. I turned the eggs over onto their sides so that the pip wouldn't be on the bottom of the bator. I have been reading Sally's article about malpositions and what to do in those cases, and I'm waiting to see what happens, if they hatch on their own or not. I am a complete newb and I don't understand why so many are malpositioned? What did I do wrong? Here are some pics. Any advice is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom