INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have my eggs on day 14 and the humidity is at 30%. The air space in the egg looks like a 7 day old egg. Shall I lower the humidity?

I don't know if I can without pulling him out, which I don't really want to do. But after this long, I'm guessing it is. His two buddies pipped a few hours after and hatched a couple hours ago.

I wouldn't take him out. Keep a close eye on him though

I am really perplexed. A year or 2 ago I ordered a Brinsea Spot Check. When it arrived I tried to use it and wasn't having any luck. It either wouldn't read the temp ( it would just flash for a bit & then turn off) or it would start to read the temp & then shut off. I figured I just didn't know how to interpret the directions. I really prefer the written word directions instead of the newer picture type direction. Anyway, I just set it aside and figured I would figure it out later. So for the Easter HAL I got it back out and was having the same results. I finally decided to try a new battery and that seemed to help. But the temps it read were stable for a while around 99 point something and then one morning it was at 104.5! The other thermometer ( red mercury type ) was only a degree higher.
Now the Brinsea is back to giving me trouble. It will just flash L while the other thermometer is reading 100 and the one on the bator says 96. I don't know what to think. I really don't think my bator is so cool that the Brinsea can't read it! Since lockdown is in 3 days, I'm just leaving things as they are. I did look through the links & notes pages trying to see if there was a way to calibrate or ice water test the Brinsea or something, but I didn't find anything. (What I found basically said leave it alone, it's calibrated great from the factory).

Most of my own eggs were clears ( I wasn't sure any would be fertile as it was), but I do have 15 or 16 eggs that belong to a friend in the incubator (along with 4 or 5 of my own), So I am really hoping that we get a fairly decent hatch from hers. But I'm so perplexed, I just don't know!

Any words of wisdom? Or pointing me in the right direction? I know the Brinsea Spot checks are suppose to be really good ( at least that;s what I thought), so is it still user error on my part?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Should I cut it so it can pull its head out? Or just let it be?
As long as the chick can breathe it's fine to stay in the shell a while longer. you may need to tape his toes, but I would just keep the membrane moist and let chickie do it's thang. That much blood means he probably has external yolk too. can you see the vessels in the inner membrane or does it just bleed when the membrane tears?

I am really perplexed.  A year or 2 ago I ordered a Brinsea Spot Check.  When it arrived I tried to use it and wasn't having any luck.  It either wouldn't read the temp ( it would just flash for a bit & then turn off) or it would start to read the temp & then shut off.  I figured I just didn't know how to interpret the directions.  I really prefer the written word directions instead of the newer picture type direction.  Anyway, I just set it aside and figured I would figure it out later.  So for the Easter HAL I got it back out and was having the same results.  I finally decided to try a new battery and that seemed to help. But the temps it read were stable for a while around 99 point something and then one morning it was at 104.5!  The other thermometer ( red mercury type ) was only a degree higher.
Now the Brinsea is back to giving me trouble.  It will just flash L while the other thermometer is reading 100 and the one on the bator says 96.  I don't know what to think. I really don't think my bator is so cool that the Brinsea can't read it!  Since lockdown is in 3 days, I'm just leaving things as they are.  I did look through the links & notes pages trying to see if there was a way to calibrate or ice water test the Brinsea or something, but I didn't find anything.  (What I found basically said leave it alone, it's calibrated great from the factory).

Most of my own eggs were clears ( I wasn't sure any would be fertile as it was), but I do have 15 or 16 eggs that belong to a friend in the incubator (along with 4 or 5 of my own), So I am really hoping that we get a fairly decent hatch from hers.  But I'm so perplexed, I just don't know!

Any words of wisdom?  Or pointing me in the right direction?  I know the Brinsea Spot checks are suppose to be really good ( at least that;s what I thought), so is it still user error on my part?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sorry I don't know anything about the spot check. With lockdown in three days I'd leave things like you have them just as you were thinking. Unless you have another reliable thermometer to check with.

Sorry I don't know anything about the spot check. With lockdown in three days I'd leave things like you have them just as you were thinking. Unless you have another reliable thermometer to check with.

No, no other thermometers that I think are exceptionally reliable. I'll just leave it be and hope for the best. But I would like to know (hopefully someone can tell me) what, if anything, that I am doing wrong with the Brinsea.

Sally you can take me out of the list! My hatchi has finished 83% hatched!
Congratulations, Bennie! Nice hatch rate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom