INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's doing great... alot better today..thanks for asking
great news!
thumbsup.gif
did you run out of clean clothes yet Rod?

Thank you Sally! I found it! You are THE BEST! Always checking in on us.
love.gif
bun.gif

Frin!!!
hugs.gif

Isn't that always the case? I have 3 out, and several more pips, and no zipping. The last one that hatched out is actually one I assisted earlier today. It popped the shell in the middle, but didn't break the membrane. I removed a bit of shell around the pip and gave it a tiny air hole. It just got through zipping all the way around the center of the egg... and it's doing great! YAY!!! The three fuzzy butts so far:

@Sally Sunshine , guess who decided to join in the fun? Yep... SS, and wouldn't you know it, it pipped right in the middle of the shell.

yesss.gif
wee.gif
takin their good ole time aint they!! stinkers!!
wink.png

BPR... and thanks! Only 14 more to go...
th.gif

anyone can openly ask what the flock a BPR is or a sps or sss or sps or npn or OH or DDD or DIS or DIL or anything like that is.... cause I havent a clue either half the time just saying

Last edited:
Sally,
What's happened to CH? Haven't seen him on all day. You drag him back into the nest & forget he was there?
idunno.gif

idk.... maybe he got mad again
sad.png
and stop that
smack.gif
man your gettin hit alot I am sorry, I must take my frustrations elsewhere whites
gig.gif

yesss.gif
wee.gif
takin their good ole time aint they!! stinkers!!
wink.png

anyone can openly ask what the flock a BPR is or a sps or sss or sps or npn or OH or DDD or DIS or DIL or anything like that is.... cause I havent a clue either half the time just saying
Yes they are. I don't think I'm going to bother with monitoring air cells from now on. Obviously, my chicks don't know what it's there for.
he.gif

I apologize to those that don't know their abbreviations from thier a... uhm... it stands for Barred Plymouth Rock.
smack.gif
There, I saved you the trouble!
lau.gif

Did you know "The yolk is orange and on its surface is a visible germinal disc; radiating from this area is the more watery white
yolk, which is less dense. During turning, the yolk’s structure makes the part containing the germinal disc stay most dorsal (closest to the incubating bird) for heating"

With a Forced Air Incubator (fan model) you can get the best hatch rate by keeping the temperature at 99.5º F. throughout the entire incubation period NEVER LET IT GO BELOW 99.5!!! Watch for evening temp flux!

HOWEVER, when using a Still Air incubator (no fan) at 102º F. The reason for different temperatures is that with a fan model the circulating air warms all around the egg while still air temperatures are warmer at the top of the egg than at the bottom.

WHERE TO SET YOUR THERMOMETER

The temperature is measured at the level where the embryos develop (at the top of the HORIZONTAL egg).
NOTE:If the eggs are in vertical position, elevate the thermometer just below the top of the egg. The temperature is measured at the level where the embryos develop (at the top of the egg). Never allow the thermometer to touch the eggs or incubator because incorrect readings can result.

A high temperature tends to produce early hatches. A consistently cooler temperature tends to increase incubation times and produce weakened chicks. In both cases the total chicks hatched will be reduced. Prepare your incubator and run it for several days before adding eggs, to be positive you are maintaining correct incubation temperature.

NOTE: It is common that when adding eggs the temperature will drop but should come back up to correct temperature within an hour or two. Don’t rest the thermometer's bulb touching the eggs or the incubator. Incorrect readings will result.

NOTE: Did you know that 10/13 day old embryos begin to produce excess heat in the incubator? Most large commercial incubators will spend more time cooling than heating!
Probe thermometer & water weasel (Water Wiggler, Water Snake) found on Amazon or Ebay make for EXCELLENT internal temp guides! The perfect internal temperature of an embryo is 99.5 degrees. If you can't find a water wiggler you can make your own with ziplock filled with water folded in half and insert the probe in the center middle.

Examples of thermometers and hygrometers
I personally like to keep a digital one that also keeps track of “highs and lows” along with 2 incubator thermometers AND a PROBE! It depends on how scientific you plan your hatch!​

More Important than make/model is CALIBRATION.

It NEEDS TO BE SPOT ON!

SEE BELOW FOR CALIBRATION

Researchers have found that lowering temperatures will prolong incubation, HOWEVER it is favorable to do so at the end of incubation.

Day 19 & 20 Temp Min 98.0 Max 98.5

Day 21 Temp Min 97 Max 98.0

egg%20equator2.jpg

http://www.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_...ow_Tos/06HowTo6MonitorSetterTempVariation.pdf

For those that can't open pdf's I made pictures of this one that Sally posted a few days ago:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/downloads/download/174/

CALIBRATION!

YES! It’s IMPORTANT!

Calibrate the thermometer/s you are using for your Incubator. I use 3 thermometers! You need to make sure your thermometer is reading correctly, Even one degree may cause serious problems with your hatch! A simple method without specialized instruments and knowledge is to compare your thermometer/hygrometer with other devices.
HOW TO CALIBRATION of thermometers:
Originally Posted by ChickenCanoe

I just posted this elsewhere today and it may help you.

"Here's what you are dealing with.
Not all thermometers read at the same timing. Also not all thermometers are accurate.
Understand that almost all incubators thermostats are in an on or off state.
What you are trying to achieve is a constant and appropriate internal egg temperature.
If a thermometer samples when the heat element is energized, it will read in the 100s.
When the temperature drops below set point, heat will turn on till the thermostat kicks off. Temperature will continue to rise for a few seconds to minutes while the heat element cools.
The readings on a good instant read thermometer will swing wildly and constantly.

Get 2 guaranteed accurate thermometers and throw the rest out. There will still be swings in readings unless your thermostat energizes in a graduated scale but you'll know what is up."

Freezing point method.​

Fill a glass with crushed ice. Add a LITTLE clean water until the glass is full and stir. Wait 3 minutes then insert the thermometer tip into the ice-filled glass so it’s in the water ice mixture. Wait a minute and if the thermometer reads 32 F then it’s accurate, and if it does not, it requires calibration.
Boiling point method.​

Boil water in a pot, about 6” deep. When the water is at boiling point, place the thermometer into the water and make sure that the tip stays in the middle of the boiling pot, away from bottom and sides. Wait 30 seconds and check if the thermometer reads correctly at 212 degrees if you are at sea level or below 1,000 feet elevation. The boiling point of water varies for different elevations: sea level at 212 F, 1000 feet at 210 F, 2000 feet at 208 F, 3000 feet at 206.4 F, 5000 feet at 202.75 F, and 8,000 feet at 197.5 F. The thermometer needs calibration if the reading is incorrect. Boiling Point Calculator CLICK HERE
Calibrate the Digital Thermometer​

Adjust the nut of the digital thermometer in order to correct the temperature. This is done by simply turning the adjuster until the correct reading is reached. Digital thermometers do not require any adjustment of a screw or nut. You simply need to locate the reset button. When the freezing point or boiling point of water is achieved, simply push the button and that’s it. Some digital thermometers may require you to push hold the reset button.
CALIBRATION EASY WAY

What To Do If Your Thermometer Is Inaccurate

When testing a thermometer for accuracy, all you're trying to do is make sure that your unit is not grossly out of whack. You should be worried about being off by +/-20°F, not +/-2°F. If your testing shows that your thermometer is off by only a few degrees, don't do anything—just take those few degrees into account when reading your thermometer. It should be noted that even high-quality, industrial-grade thermometers are only accurate to +/-1% of their scale. This means that at a standard 212°F boiling point, these thermometers may read as much as 2°F above or below the actual temperature and still be within manufacturing specifications. Bottom line: Don't sweat your thermometer being off by a few degrees!
If your thermometer is off by +/-5°F or more, you may want to consider replacing it with a higher quality model. S
Inexpensive thermometers typically cannot be recalibrated if found to be inaccurate, but more expensive units may be recalibrated by the manufacturer and in some cases by the user. Consult the instructions that came with your thermometer for details.​

More information on Calibrating your thermometer/hygrometer:​

Analog hygrometer Calibration http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/calibrate.html

hygrometer calibration Benny's method
1. You calibrate 2 simple alcohol thermometers see pic.

2 you should build an home made hygrometer see pic! It is very easy!

3. You should have the digital hygrometer that you want to calibrate.
M.O
A.Set you incubator to 30C with a measuring cup with a known volume of distilled water put inside the home made hygrometer and the digital hygrometer and measure the humidity in boat devices( how to measure in the home made hygrometer, see the attache in the end!) write the reeding of the humidity level
In boat devices.
Do the same another 3 times but change the temp in the bator to: 35C,40C and 45C. So after you do that you will have 4 humidity level measured by the home made hygrometer and 4 humidity level measured by the digital hygrometer.
B. After you have all the readings you should calculate the delta( difference) between the 2 reedings
For example :
If in 30C the home made hygrometer showed 53% and the digital showed 51%
The difference is
53%-51%=(+)2%
You should do this with all the different temp. That you measured.
C.you should sum all the differences that you calculated
For example:
If the deltas were: 2%,3.4%(-2%),3%
The sum will be: 2+3.4-2+3=6.4
D,you should calculate the average difference:
(6.4)%:4= (+)1.6%
That Menes that you should add to your digital readings 1.6% humidity.
If the calculated average is negative ( has a minus in front of it) you should reduce
The number from your digital hygrometer readings!
How to measure with home made hygrometer:
You should reed the temp of the dry thermometer, and the one of the wet thermometer, calculate the difference( dry-wet) and use the table in the link!
http://www.agrolan.co.il/uploadfiles/rh.htm
Some examp. From the link

picture to illustrate why we calibrate.​

All the same brand. All read the same a month ago. All in the same conditions for the past week. All read different.
I also will be investing in a thermometer with tenths digits to compare to my thermostat.​

Mix 1/2 cup of salt and 1/4 cup of water to make a thick slurry. Put your thermometer/hygrometer into a large zip-close plastic bag with this cup of salt slurry, close completely, and leave at room temperature for several hours or overnight. Do not let the water actually touch the hygrometer. If at the end of this time the relative humidity inside the bag is 75%, you're home free. (You should read it while it is still in the closed bag, because the second you take it out, the humidity in your house will begin to affect the reading.)

If the humidity is higher or lower, however, you will need to make a note of the % by which the hygrometer deviates, and always remember to mentally add or subtract that percentage during incubation to maintain the desired humidity: For example, if your humidity reading is 80%, you must always subtract 5% from whatever you see on the hygrometer. If it says 40%, you will know the real humidity is 35%.​

0.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom