INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is the shelf liner for the hatch? I have puppy pee pads but do I need to put the shelf liner on the that? Should I soak the pee pad? What if that makes the humidity too high? If the air cells look good should I lay them down? What if they still don't look big enough?
I am going into lock down tonight. I am very nervous. What other supplies should I have on hand ?
PAper tape
Electrolytes
Neosporin
perhaps try the maxi pads then you can grab them out??? not sure what to tell you if you get humidity too high other
Incubation CHICK FIRST AID KIT Supplies post #71640
Quote:
lau.gif

Yeah something tells me that to much of us would be way to much for the moderators to handle. That's why I'm always on my best behavior :oops:
Me too. :oops:

I am glad I checked something first, before putting eggs in the incubator tonight. Looks like I won't be hatching again. :(
April 23rd? :oops:

What makes me so special?
A better question would be what doesn't make you so special?

What is the name of the restaurant. I am going to drive up and eat there
@attimus is the one to ask.

Forget the handcuffs.... Gorilla duct tape is now the trend. :p
To many arms hairs for duct tape so I prefer the handcuffs.

If you're talking about using it in the incubator during lockdown, you don't want to use puppy pads. You only need shelf liner if the mesh floor of the incubator has large enough holes for hocks to get stuck in. If it's a fine mesh, nothing else is necessary. If you have good air cells, I would lay them down. If the cells aren't big enough, there's not much you can do at this point. 

Supplies you should have on hand:

Sleep aid.
Sedative
Strong drink (which can replace sedative)
Handcuffs can be useful
A long, interesting novel... War and Peace is a good choice
The list goes on and on...

;)

A couple people have mentioned using puppy pads. They said it helped with cleanup and help keep up humidity. The incubator I am using just has a solid plastic floor with grooves for water. I realize these chicks are just my practice run and they are not worth much but if I ever want to breed expensive birds I would like to learn all I can.

ANYONE ADD TO THIS PLEASE??

ideas for a chick / incubation first aid kit??

tweezers,

wood screw or small drill bit for holes,

Qtips ,

betadine or iodine, colloidal silver (do not use anything with Pain Relief in it!)

papertowels,

bacitracin​
for assists

Poultry Nutri drench.
Bowl of warm water
small cups to set eggs upright if need be,

Vitamins save a chick, or grow gel, Syringe

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876 USING SPONGE WEDGES post #4473
Chick Pro and Pre Biotic vit cheap! I swear by them! 1st & 2 wks then ACV see post #1409
Chick and Chicken Vitamins HAVE SOME ON HAND post #61039

Common Chick Issues
CURLY TOES Spraddle Leg TENDON Leg ISSUES post #42573
NAVELS She HATCHED! But what's with her butt? post #25012
Umbilical Gunk aka Strings post #25012
Quick lesson on pasty butt post #4657

Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching - Click HERE
I HAVE EGGS LEFT UNHATCHED NOW WHAT? post #12001

Last edited:
Happy to report the chicks from the Easter Hatch-a-long are all thriving. Should sell them as I don't need any more- but I am happy to have finally gotten things 95% right with so little effort. Thanks for the knowledge- duplicate/appropropriately calibrated monitors and ventilation make a HUGE difference! The post-hatch clean-up was also much easier!

My Broody hen had been sitting X1 week. She was off the nest and outside of her enclosure when I got home from work and couldn't get back in. Not sure what happened or how long it was (but I suspect at least a few hours). Eggs were at ambient temperature - it was in the 70s most of the day. When I helped the hen back into the broody coop/pen she went right back to the eggs and is sitting well. I didn't candle them. Not sure how well they will do or when I should reassess. As long as she is sitting, I won't put them in my bator.

I also have broody hen #2. Been staying in the box the last few nights and looking for eggs. It's a Welsummer - not sure of there reputation, but gave her 8 eggs to look after today. I may need to start following the broody hen thread now!

Wood screw or small drill bit? What in world?
How would I ever know when to use that item. If I have learned anything from this list is sit on your hands.

ANYONE ADD TO THIS PLEASE??

ideas for a chick / incubation first aid kit??

tweezers,

wood screw or small drill bit for holes,

Qtips ,

betadine or iodine,

papertowels,

small cups to set eggs upright if need be,

Vitamins save a chick, or grow gel, Syringe

[COLOR=008080]Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks[/COLOR] post #3876 [COLOR=008080]USING SPONGE WEDGES[/COLOR][COLOR=008080] [/COLOR]post #4473 [COLOR=008080]Chick Pro and Pre Biotic vit cheap! I swear by them! 1st & 2 wks then ACV see[/COLOR] post #1409 [COLOR=008080]Chick and Chicken Vitamins HAVE SOME ON HAND[/COLOR] post #61039 Common Chick Issues
CURLY TOES Spraddle Leg TENDON Leg ISSUES post #42573
[COLOR=008080]NAVELS She HATCHED! But what's with her butt?[/COLOR] post #25012 [COLOR=008080]Umbilical Gunk aka Strings [/COLOR]post #25012 [COLOR=008080]Quick lesson on pasty butt[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR]post #4657 [COLOR=FF0000]Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching -[/COLOR] Click HERE [COLOR=008080]I HAVE EGGS LEFT UNHATCHED NOW WHAT?[/COLOR] post #12001
Sally, you can add the teacup for spraddle leg, or Coban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom