INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dispatching 5 skinny Roos today. Wish they were fatter but I tried. We will eat them anyway. QUESTION: if I want to go ahead and butcher them down and debone them, do I need to wait three days for rigor to pass or can I go ahead and do it when I clean them?

My understanding of your question, is that you want to debone them while you're processing them. Yes, that is a totally okay thing to do.

Not true.

My cockerels from January are crowing also.
I got lucky with those hatches. 3 cocks and 9 pullets.
Losing 3 roosters to mink/raccoons this month, I'm going to keep at least 1 of these.

Good morning.
Wow, yeah. Yesterday was brutal. 45MPH gusts. Same today. That's windy for around here. Normally this is a poor area for wind power.

Yeah it's been real windy here the last couple of days too...we have several wind turbines around here on the Great Lakes....allot of wind coming off the lakes.

Have you ever traveled I-70 in OH ( I think, maybe IN ) and seen the "windmill farm" ? I find it fascinating; windmills on both sides about as far as you can see!

Sweet....I used to have too 900 watt generators in my yard...but because I am so close to an airport...I cannot have then high enough to do any good.so I sold them...they ended up in Australia.......

Wonder what is causing the spike so fast. It only happens when you turn the eggs? 108 seems like an extreme spike.

I'm a little worried about my eggs...it got down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit ...I woke up the house was down to 45 before I kicked th heat on....I was afraid to even look at the bator....but hopefully it kept up.....when I turned the eggs later it was at 101.....

There is a wind turbine farm south of me - when I drive down to Palm Springs I see them.  They are amazing.  Usually as I drive through there the wind is strong but calm.  Only about half are spinning.  Last trip home, the wind was EXTREME!!  I was having trouble driving.  Those blades were SPINNING.  That was fun to see.  But, have you ever seen one shatter?

Congratulations! 

As fast as mine should spin...it would be scary.

Hey, granny
frow.gif
Good to see you.
The situation isn't exactly ideal, but what have you got to lose, except a few omelettes?

LOL, I guess thats right too. Thank you.
hugs.gif

I'm pretty mad right now, a fox decided to go into the baby chicken tractor and get all 6. Or at least I can't find any of them. The fox also got in with the big chickens and a couple I can't find, but 5 have come back. We shot at the fox but it ran.

I'm so sorry! I hope you scared the fox enough to stay away, or if not, you kill it before it can do more damage!
It makes sense. When you open it the temperature drops and then the heat element is energized to bring the temp back up. That will register on your thermometer as a temporary spike. However, the internal egg temperature changes much more slowly.

Not since the farm was installed. I've been involved in installing 3 windmills here in MO. They are all on ridge tops.
The most impressive one I've seen is on high ground surrounding Lake Arenal. Supposedly one of the windiest areas on earth.
This is one of 4 farms surrounding the lake.

Lake Arenal is at the base of The arenal volcano and is the #1 windsurfing location in Central America.

Gorgeous photos!! I think volcanoes scare me more than any other natural disaster! They sure make for some beautiful scenery though!!

Last edited:
Dispatching 5 skinny Roos today. Wish they were fatter but I tried. We will eat them anyway. QUESTION: if I want to go ahead and butcher them down and debone them, do I need to wait three days for rigor to pass or can I go ahead and do it when I clean them?
Deboning will lengthen the time it takes for the rigor to leave the meat.
There was a study on it. If I find it I'll post.
24 hours minimum with the bone in but the amount of rigor leaving the meat slows dramatically after that but still 4 days is better than 1.

Also, how do I get a hen...who has gone broody before...to go broody again without wasting valuable eggs that I have a waiting list for? Lol
You can't make them except for making the nest as inviting as possible. Dark and comfy bedding. What do you use for nesting material.
I've used everything from dried grass, straw, pine shavings, excelsior nest pads to plastic nest pads.
I've had hens go broody in all but the plastic. I guess they feel it isn't comfy enough for chicks.
I moved a broody once from an excelsior nest to a plastic nest. She refused to sit on the plastic. I swapped out the plastic with excelsior, put the eggs back in and she immediately went in to sit on the eggs.

Tried using fake eggs or golf balls?

That too.

I'm seeing 0/6 of the babies and 17/19 of the older chickens. I know each one separately but they keep moving around too much for me to figure out who's missing... Out of the babies I had my first two leghorns from my hatch.

I'm seeing 0/6 of the babies and 17/19 of the older chickens. I know each one separately but they keep moving around too much for me to figure out who's missing... Out of the babies I had my first two leghorns from my hatch.
I'm so sorry about the babies. I hope they turn up! The two older chickens and the babies could be hiding. I hope they turn up and you didn't lose all of them!

I hope they turn up. We lost a several of my babies and turkey pullet to some wildlife critter last year. Heartbreaking. I hope you have better luck at getting yours back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom